Ibanez SR1600E Premium 4-String Bass ...has anyone tried this bass yet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DAcat, Apr 21, 2014.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I and my small hands have liked the Ibanez SR BASS LINE series in regards to the way they play, but have felt the pickups leave me wanting a sound more like the Bartolini pickups on a really good bass ... like a Tobias, for example. Has anyone played or heard the Ibanez SR1600E Premium 4-String Bass and if so what did you think of the tone compared to the tone of most of the other Ibanez basses 700.00 and up?
    Peace...

DAcat

2. I just got my SR1605 last Saturday from zzounds and I love it. It sounds great, it is very shapeable and fast to play. Def recommend it.

3. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I love the Premium series and the sound is a lot better than the regular SR line. If you could live with a 5 string version I have a brand new one for sale in the classified for about 400 off what you'll pay for a new one with all the goodies.
    image.jpg image.jpg

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I have a 1206e it is simular to the one you are talking about, they both come with Nordy big singles pickups. IMHO they are great basses, IMHO the weak link is the pre amp, I am going to Change mine to maybe a agulilar OBP-3 to me that up grade alone make the bass worth $300-500 more than what I paid.

campbems likes this.
  5. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    How hard would this change be to do? That may be something I would want to do to my 1605 if it will make that much of a diffrence.

6. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    If you are asking about changing the pre amp, I could not tell you how hard it is to change. I don't think it will be that hard, but if I can find a good shop I will put it in the shop and have a pro do it. The cost of the pre amp is about $150. I'm going with the Aguilar because I have read it's a hot pre, a little goes a long way, kind of like my MM BONGO.

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I picked up a used sr1600e from MF yesterday and have played it for about an hours so far. I am mostly Fender jazz/P tone guy. Overall it is a nice bass. Nice woods, fit and finish, fretwork, etc. The pre-amp is ok, but I could see how someone might want to swap it out. Tonally it doesn't sound very jazz-like to me. It reminds me of stingray/Warwick/MTD hybrid tone. The passive tone is a little anemic, but I don't think it is meant to be played in passive. String to string balance and ergonomics are very good, although the string spacing is too narrow for my tastes so I am sending her back.

I agree these sound better than other SR Ibanezes I've played. If you dig the modern tone I'd say these are worth the asking price. Would be an especially good bass for someone smaller or with small hands.

8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Amazing bass! Only just preferred the hh stingray I got to it. Probably a better sounding bass than the stingray, but not a fan of the matte finish on the body.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021