1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR256, SR305, Or a Fender Modern Player Jaguar/Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Oct 8, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm in need of a bass packing some versatility. I like Ibanezes cause they're just workhorses, same with Fenders, but I can't make up my mind. I'd like a 5/6 string, and I really like the standard Fender Jazz/Precision tones, but I'm willing to go with a more modern kind of growl tone as well. I'm mostly going to play metal and progressive rock. It needs to play nice with distortion and have nice trebley attack with growly mids. Low end isn't really a huge issue with me, my favorite guitarist has a boomy/beefy tone so low freqs are a non issue. My budget would preferably be around $400, but I can probably sway to $600 at the very highest.

2. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    The ATK205 doesn't look half bad either.

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Modern Player Jazz V gets my vote

4. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    and mine, you need to be looking at the Ibanez SR505 to match the quality of the MP Jazz.

5. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Another vote for the MPJV. I've had mine 2 months now and love it. At this weekend's gig, the bassist from the band that was about to play after us couldn't believe it was a passive bass. He was floored.... i took that as a compliment. :D

6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This. MP Jazz (or a any used jazz that you like) or a SR505.

7. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    Any of the cheaper ones though? I might not be able to afford that.