1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR300-E, Power tap Option solved?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gadget1964, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gadget1964

Gadget1964

May 1, 2019
    Non Commercial User.
    SR300e Bass Guitar with Powerspan pickups, three position mini toggle switch of which in this matter would concern the "Power Tap" position on the switch, (in the direction of the treble knob). As of this posting there has been no clear answer as to the mechanical functionality for the "Power Tap" selection. There have been suggestions as to what the true purpose or use for the selection for instance, "A BIOS program incorporated into the board itself as an effect". It just so happens as of this posting I have at my disposal a 2017 Ibanez SDGR-300E (I will not note in what color tone burst) and have put some man hours into getting to know it, that includes the Coil Tap function. Here is my "two cents" as to what the Power tap selection does mechanically/electorally when engaged. The Neck Pickup, Bridge pickup have been tapped (Switched) into single coil. The humbuck pickup coils are NO LONGER RUNNING IN PARALLEL (No longer true humbuck). In essence the pickups through the throwing of a switch become stacked single coils. When tested it was found that in power tap mode all pickup poles are indeed hot with some discernible pink noise when active. As to the other selection modes on the switch center is humbuck (No noise), the diction of the bridge pickup is the single coil mode of which when active produces the same pink noise as found in the power tap mode however only half of the poles are hot (Tested using screw driver directly on poles). Of course the center switch position (humbuck) all poles are hot and no discernible noise. when active, this with the EQ and pickup panpot zeroed out. Thoughts.

2. NikosP75

NikosP75 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Astoria NY
    All I can tell you is that after a year having the bass, my ears have began discerning the difference, might also add that I am new to music and basses and this is my first bass. Good to hear that it actually function as advertised .

3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    Up = neck humbucker only
    Middle = one coil of the neck pickup, and one coil of the bridge pickup that form an imperfect, spaced out humbucker (like on a jazz bass)
    Down = bridge humbucker only

^I thought they worked like this.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nope, there's a blend knob for pickup selection. The three way is a master coil tap, switching both pickups from humbuckers to single coils.

The question is what the third position does. I've seen it explained as parallel wiring of both coils of each pickup, single coil with a preset bass EQ boost, and both coils on with one reduced in volume. Nobody seems to know for sure, and Ibanez doesn't explain it in any of their literature.

[​IMG]

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021