Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR300. Is it a complete low end?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfgfgf, Jul 1, 2005.

1. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to have Ibanez SR300 a long time ago,
    when I just started to play bass. Then I sold it... Now I need a bass
    to do some "in-line" recording at home and maybe even to take it to
    the jams. Is Ibanez SR300 a complete low-end crap, or could it be used
    for something? The thing is I'm a guitarist with a high-end guitar gear and I just needed a bass for "playing with it", so I do not want to spend $1000 for something I'm not sure I'm going to use.

2. The first question you have to ask is "How much am I willing to spend." Off the top of my head, I don't remember how much the SR300 costed, but for 4 strings, the SR's are pretty good. If you want to go a little more upscale than that, you could check out the Ibanez BTB series, all of which rock. I believe the 4 strings start at around 500 or 600.
    I don't think I understood you're current situation. What type of bass do you have now, if any?

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I had the SR300 as my first bass, too, and I wouldn't recommend it.
    Sounds too dead. Bad electronics. etc.

What type of tone are you looking for?
    Anyway, check out the SX aka Essex megathread if you want a cheap, but decent bass.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Said it once, will say again: Check out SX.

Better than Fenders (MIMs)

5. I have an Ibanez sr300 .... its a POS. I upgraded with a 500 dollar used Hwy 1 Fender Jazz...

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have played many SR series basses, including the SR300, and I think they are solid, great-value basses.

I never met any piece of Ibanez equipment that I would dismiss.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    A 300 is a nice bass for the money, but you could buy an 800 used for less than a new 300 and have a much nicer bass. If you thought your old 300 was comfortable to play, you probably won't like the feel of an SX.

8. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Maybe better value, but they are different. atleast mine are.

9. I have a 6 year old version of the 305, and I have never felt let down by the electronics, now I have its big boy brother, the sr3000e with the high end barts (not that mk1/2 stuff) and I come back to the 305 often just cause I have the settings on it for a well rounded sound for fingerstyle funk. Now its by no means the most amazing bass out there, but for the money I think its a sound bass.

BTW The fingerboard finish on mine seems a little nicer than the new ones they have out.

10. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I would maybe go a little higher in the SR series. I have eyeing the mahongony SR500 and a white SR530 for quite a while now.

11. even though I cant stand fenders, if all your using it for is noodling around and recording, I would look for a used P bass. They just sound solid for recording without you really having to EQ and everything, will make for less of a hassle.

I really like the soundgear line, but yeah, the lower the number, the lower the quality. i would say the SR450 and up are good deals, but my old soundgear was a 200 I think and I did not enjoy it. (but it did cost $75!)

12. adnan007

adnan007 Banned

Oct 25, 2008
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Is this a active bass?

13. The SR300 has the same electronics/pickups as the SR400QM - tremendous lows/crisp highs. The SR300DX is a "midrange" bass. SR500, and higher have barts. The SR series are a very good value for the $$, and are known for there slim necks, looks, sound, and quality.

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    nope... :scowl:

Here's another vote for the BTB.

15. adnan007

adnan007 Banned

Oct 25, 2008
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    What about Ibanez SR305

16. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    My friend gave me an Ibanez SR-200 for my birthday last year. Rest of my basses are all US nice quality stuff. The bass sounded weak and dead to me compared to the rest but played nice.

Plugged it into my GK Fusion 550 w/two NEO 212's and now it sounds fantastic!! ;-) Like a good 'ole P-Bass! Matter of fact all the passive and active stuff really shines with this rig.

17. P-BASSLOVER

P-BASSLOVER

Oct 10, 2008
    USA
    The new SR 300's are the equal to the SR 400's a few years ago. If this is the bass you're talking about, YES! The new 300's come in an orange color I believe. If this is the bass you speak of, they are good.

18. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    its a good bass IME, but what kind of music are you into?
    SR300 is kind of a metal/versatile bass

19. adnan007

adnan007 Banned

Oct 25, 2008
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Can I play :
    Heavy metal,
    Thrash metal,
    Hard rock & Speed metal With this bass ?