1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR300 vs. Peavey Grind BXP 4 NTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msh26, Aug 12, 2012.

1. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    Ok. I am a former keyboard player from the '80's that has been wanting to play bass. I should have done this years ago and in fact when I was a teen in the 80's I almost started bass instead of keyboards. So, I'll admit that I am a big Duran Duran fan of the early albums and like early Simple Minds and lots of my music I noticed not only had good keys, but great bass players in the new wave era.

Now I'm about to buy my first bass and I want to buy quality. Two basses that I have narrowed it down to are the Ibanez SR300 in GREY and the Peavey Grind 4 BXP in BLACK. I've tried the Ibanez and was only able to try the Peavey in a 5 string. The Ibanez felt nice since its slim and not too big.

Question: In your opinion which bass would be better considering what I've mentioned?

Yes, I've heard "whatever" feels right, but I just want people's opinions of the Peavey vs the Ibanez. The Peavey's PUPs are passive, so is one difference.

Tell me YOUR opinions of each of these and which would be better.

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I have a Peavey grind 4, I do like it quite a bit. It would not be my only bass though. Its somewhat of a one trick pony tone-wise. Its dark.
    I played the ibanez and thought it more versatile without alot of right hand work.
    Glad to have you playing bass!

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive owned the SR300 and played a few grinds. The SR300 sounded and played better and had better fretwork. The bridge sadle screws on the Ibanez had the typical need for locktite to keep saddles from riding down those overly thin screws ibanez insists on using for the bridge. But other then that an excellent bass imo. Id pick the Ibanez again if looking at both.

4. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    So, safe to say that bass may not be the best for slapping? I hope to do a little when I learn more. Does the Ibanez feel smaller than the Grind to you? Too small?

Thanks for the welcome to the bass world! :)

5. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    What made you get rid of the SR300?

6. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I have a Grind 5 which I picked up off Craigslist, and I was not happy at all with the tone of the neck pickup in particular. I'm in the middle of gutting the electronics and replacing everything, which I could afford to do because I only paid $250 for it used. I like the neck and body, however, so I'll keep it.

Every sub-$500 Ibanez I've tried has had a noisy pre-amp. Maybe the stores just didn't maintain them or something, but out of 4 I've picked up at various stores, probably 3 of them had substantial noise the minute it was plugged in and cranked. The one I've heard that was normal sounded decent. Also, I don't like the angled input jack at all; it's too narrow, and too tight. Just about every one I've seen has all kinds of paint wear near the jack. Dumb design.

If forced to choose only between the two, I'd take the Ibanez for a first instrument.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Actually the only problem I had with it was so rounded all over on edges it acted slippery in playing standing. Still Id put it in the top five basses Ive owned. Lol. The neck is a little thinner then the grinds. Narrow string spacing may be undesireable to some slap players. I dont slap, just use pick.

8. Good Grinds are great after a pup switch. Bad Grinds are horrible. It's really one of those basses you have to handle to see if it's not a bad Grind. Ibbys are a little more consistent, and not being a fan of SR-whatever rubbery necks, it's hard for me to say that. I've owned three and every time the temp changed a half a degree, there went the action. Never with the Grind. It's the only bass I regret selling.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    msh26.

Umm, I think it really came down to my working my way back to BC Rich basses at the time. And how the SR300 was a bit awkward for resting its rear against upper leg. Being all rounded rear made it not want to stay put as well as flat rear basses. With warlock bass the rear cutout forms a nice area for upper leg rest.

10. Stoom

Stoom

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    I've been wrestling with this decision, If you go for a SR300 which I will, make sure you get the latest version with the B120 bridge, it also has newer Pickups and EQ.