1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR300 with jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Little Rock, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    I know many of you guys may find it really silly, but i decided to install a pair of American Fender jazz bass pickups on an Ibanez SR300, hoping it would sound like a Jazz bass. To my complete surprise, it still sounds like an Ibanez SR300 to my ears.

So, it made me wonder what makes a jazz bass sound like a jazz bass. Is it the body shape and/or size, the headstock, pickup spacing, etc? Does anybody know for sure?

In case you wonder why i did that, the answer is simple: it is the lightest bass I ever had and it has the most comfortable neck i ever played, but the original pickups suck! Besides that, i love the way a jazz bass sounds!

Now I am wondering if a Lakland 44-01 with single coil pickups would sound close to a jazz bass. The reason is that the body and headstock shape and size a much closer to a jazz bass, when compared to an Ibanez SR300.
    Please, let me know what you guys think!

Ibanez SR300 body.

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    If the position/location of Jazz Bass pu's is the same as a Fender Jazz Bass (w/250k pots), regardless of the shape of the (alder/ash) body/bolt-on maple neck it should sound like a J. Our visual connection to a Fender Jazz bass to its sound will go a long way to make you think a non-Fender bass with J pu's sounds different because it doesn't look (or feel) like a Jazz bass. Perception is individual and subjective.

3. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    I verified that the neck pup is about 10 mm closer to the bridge, in comparison to a Fender bass.
    I also want to highlight that i connected the jazz pups to the input of the onboard preamp.

4. Different pickups, but the same 3-band active EQ? That might be where the problem is. Why don't you just buy a passive Squier J or something similar because that poor Ibby just doesn't look right.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Enough to have it sound different. Aside from the pu placement discrepancy, each companies pre-amps will colour the pu sound differently.

6. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    The plan was to test the sound and, if it sounded like a jazz bass, i was going to find a way to install the jazz pups under soapbar covers.
    I guess i will have to bypass the preamp to see if it makes any difference.
    As for buying a Squier, remember that they are usually very heavy.

7. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    After doing the test and getting very intrigued, i watched several videos o people playing Warwick basses to verify that they don't sound like jazz basses, despite having similar pickup configuration.

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I don't know much about Warwick basses but I can imagine many being active. Even if their single coil pu's are in a similar position as a Fender Jazz, they are not Fender Jazz pu's. (wound differently with different materials etc) Throw in companies deliberately creating a general perception of sounding "like" a P & J because they are so well known, respected and sought after sonically. Not being argumentative - just attempting to quantify something pretty straight forward. Many things result in a basses sonic signature but unless the body is radically different (Flying V shape vs P-bass shape) - the 'form' of the body should not make any difference in tone. The wood type/density, the neck/fb wood to some extent - and the pu's/electronics, strings and scale for sure will be part of the sonic signature.

JeffJ2112 likes this.