Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR3000 vs SR800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I can't decide between these two. At first, I was totally set on the 800 because it had the active pickups, so I preordered one factory direct. But after reading some of the threads here on active vs passive pickups, and seeing how almost everyone likes passive pickups better (even if you don't directly say that, it's the message I'm picking up), I'm thinking about the SR3000 too. It has passive full-range pickups and a nice hard wood body. It's heavier but the lows sound really nice. I havn't had the chance to try out the 800 yet. Any opinions on these two basses or on active vs passive pickups?

2. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Passive is probably better when you're talking about Soundgears, and the 3000 has other features that make it attractive as well (quality of wood and the monorail bridge come to mind). On paper, the 3000 is a better bass.

By way of background, I have an 810, which is just like an 800 except for the body, which is (I believe) ash instead of basswood.

The active preamp is so bad (as in noisy and way over-voiced to the treble range) that I'm considering re-wiring it to bypass the preamp and tone controls altogether, keeping only the volume and blend knobs.

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    would changing the active preamp right when i get it be feasible and not too expensive? i think the 3000 is quite a bit more expensive (the 800 is $500 new). i'll check it out though.

4. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    An Aguilar preamp is, I believe, about $150, but you may lose the "sweepable mids" that the Ibanez preamp offers. You can download a wiring diagram from Ibanez's new (much improved) website and run it past the folks at Aguilar, Seymour Duncan, Sadowsky, or some other onboard preamp manufacturer. Only thing is, Aguilar is an 18-volt preamp, which means a second battery, which I doubt would fit in the existing electronics bay of the Ibanez.

5. I own a SR 800 I like the way the bass plays and the sound is ok. However it is active and I find the pick-ups to be little weak and they tend to distort at times. I am not the type of guy to notice much of a difference in this stuff (like thicker cables, speakon connectors making a difference.) But however I am not totally satisfied with the active pick-ups on my bass.

sorry if this makes no sense i am getting very tired see ya :)

6. You can get a U-Retro for $250, it has the volume, pup blend, treble, bass, mid/mid sweep. It sounds great and should drop right in, would make even the SR sound good!

7. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    thats kinda expensive considering the bass itself only costs $500 :p