Ibanez SR305DXBX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Mar 19, 2001.

1. I went to a music shop in my location today. i was thinking about getting a Yamaha BBG5S a while back, but I don't think I'm entirely satisfied with the sound and the neck is too big for me. Well I had tried an Ibanez before and wasn't really satisfied it, I suppose because of a poor setup. Let me tell you, I played an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string this time around, and I loved it. I have to get this bass! The sound is good, it feels nice and it looks very nice, too. I haven't tried it with a strap, so I don't know if it balances or not. What does everyone think of this bass? Your opinions will most likely not make me or keep me from buying this bass, but i'm just curious what you think about it. As of now, I'm buying it.
  2. I don't really like the bass, because for slapping, I find that the neck pickup is a little too close to the neck, which could inhibit the playing. Also, that model only has bass boost. If you like that one I would save up a little bit and get the 405 which is quite a bit better. Or you could try the new BTB basses that are really cheap. Look at www.musiciansfriend.com to find the basses.
  3. yeah if money isnt too much of a prob for you i suggest trying out at least the BTB405. those go around $590 or so for a 5 string (about $520 for the 4-string). or the soundgear405 is a good choice too. but if you find that 305 to be "the" bass for you then by all means get it.
  4. I'm not sure if they carry that model at this store. The price for this bass is usually 500 something and the store is selling it for $380, so that's a good price. What do you mean it has "only" bass boost?

BTW, there were several other Ibanez basses there that looked exactly the same except had more knobs or something, and I couldn't tell the difference but I didn't try the other ones out. Perhaps i should.
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i have a 305 and i love it,, get it and join my club...

wait a minute, i have no club... mmm clubsandwich..
  6. Got one. Beautiful (looks and sound). Very playable. Great slapper. Very versatile. Find a good price on one and get it. It's a beauty!
  7. i'll look into it
  8. I got a four string version of what you are talking about and i think its pretty cool(even though id like a five string better) but i feel i grew out of it already i think it was assman who said they sound kinda synthetic. I guess if your other bass feels a bit restricting, it would be a nice and they do have a versatile sound but you have tweak your amp every time you change sounds. Maybe i just like destinct sounds for different song and styles. Right now im still deciding whether or not im going to save up for for an american deluxe V, warwick corvette, or a stingray-5. If you feels it suits your style of playing and feel liking, then get it because i dont know what youll be using it for.
  9. i almost bought a 305 until i played the 405. it sounds way better and has the eqbIII electronics for bass, treble, and mid boost/cuts. The 305 has the phat bass enhancer which is alright except you don't have many tonal options for it.
  10. i keep hearin good things about the sr405! Maybe i'll try one again!
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im not a very big fan of Ibanez Sr Series basses. I dont like the tone they produce, to me they sound weak and lack depth and punch. I used to have a Sr405 and Sr406. If you go Ibanez Id recomend that you get the Sr405 over the 305. Better wood. Slightly better etronics. Overall a little bit better bass and for not all that much more money.
  12. i play rock, funk, punk, metal, reggae, ska, jazz. I also have a Fender standard P-bass
  13. That shop does have the 405! I just found that I like it even better. Do you recommend this as my second bass (first 5-string)?
  14. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Well the 405 is better (it has better body wood, Light maple vs. agathis). To the guy that didn't like the SoundGear tone: They sound great with a different pre-amp it's the ibanez 9V pre-amps that strangle the sound. Back to your Q fleabass, I did just that. I stated on a p-bass and went to my ibanez 5-string. The transition isn't that hard. What do you tune your bass to now (E or drop D)? Going straight from E to a 5-string is the easiest. I used to tune my bass down to a D or B so it was kind of tough to switch. It only took me a couple days to used to the 5-string though. It's best to not go back to a 4 for awhile until you realy get situated with the 5.
  15. are you saying that I should buy a preamp if I buy the soundgear? Cuz they are DAMN expensive.

Hmm.. well I use normal and drop-D tuning. I am familiar with both of them, especially standard E tuning.
  16. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    You don't have to, but you can. The carvin preamp is around $80 and is a great preamp (that's what I have in my ibanez, I had do some work though to get 5 pots into 4 holes.) Idon't know how much emg preamps are but I think they're around $100or more. You can get a seymour duncan STC-3P 3-band Tone Circuit for passive pickups for $111.75 from warmoth at http://www.warmoth.com/frames.buttons/frames6.htm (click on pick-ups and it's near the bottom of the page.) You can keep the preamp that's in there that works allright untill u get some more $.
    I upgraded my ibanez because it's electronics sucked, and I wanted a 3-band eq. I had also allready bought with out doing much reasearch, and had owned it for around a year, and figured a new pre-amp is cheaper than a new bass. If you like 405 the way it is, than don't change it. If this is your second bass, I wouldn't be looking for a new bass to buy that you'd have to modify. I think the sr405 is a good piece the way it is. What other basses have you tried and what drawed you to the sr405? also if u play in d and e you should be fine switching over to a 5. Why do you want a 5 instead of a 4? I got a 5 because I played lower than a drop D. I also had to use wierd tunings for some stuff and was just sick of tuneing the thing all over the place. Sure so some stuff was easier to play in wierd tunings but I learned to play it on a 5 just as well and I don't have to retune. I also like the double octive. Sometimes I wished I'd stayed on my 4 longer i'd be a better bass player for it, I just hit my B-sting and am reminded a 4 can't shake my sack like this. My 4-srting broke anyway though so I'm glad I got a better bass.
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    give a chance to the new ibanez atk. the only ibanez i like.
  18. thanks for the info, AssMan. You say this preamp (STC-3P) is for passive pickups? I believe the SR405 is active. Anyway, I'll probably just leave the ones in there till im old enough to get a job. lol

I want a 5-string for basically the same reason you did, because there are plenty of songs with low Db, C, and B. And A (KoRn). I guess a can drop D on a 5 string if there's a song that needs open strings, but most of the time it can be transferred to a 5.

BTW how much does a 5 string ATK run for?
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    here in italy the atk 5 string is out for 500$
  20. dude!!!...i'm looking for an SR-305 5-string...i played my friend's 305...it's awesome...anyone wanna sell me a used one???