1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR370 - extremely quiet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeweyTheroux, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased this bass and immediately swapped out the on board battery as it seemed like a cheap generic one.

Had my first band practice with it last night and could hardly hear myself - I do play in a heavy metal band with two guitarists but have never struggled so badly before. I play through a 300w amp so normally the amp has enough juice but I had to max the volume across the board to get anything! The amp was telling me to increase input so it seems the signal from the bass is low? Are these basses renowned for this and is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

2. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    If it helps; My SR300 was really weak with the bass EQ knob anywhere below half. And at full it would be off the scale.
    (I used my ashdown's VU meter to test)[Bass output volume - max, PU blend - middle, amp input @ half /w active input switched]

Does the bass EQ knob make any massive difference to input level?

(edit: Only talking about the active EQ on the bass. EQ on the amp was not altered at all during that test)

3. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Oct 22, 2013
    I was fiddling with the EQ knob and if I scooped pretty much all the low end out of the sound the input level to the amp was improved but the sound was rubbish and distorted.

I am really annoyed as I love the look and feel of the bass but if it can't compete volume wise then it's of no use to me!

4. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    This happened to me (on a SR800) and it turned out to be a bad volume pot.

I fixed it myself but it is tricky becaus ethe pot is mounted to the board.

I bought a SR370 for my daughter and I would say the bass is loud going through a Hartke 4x10.

5. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Oct 22, 2013
    Is replacing the volume pot a cheap job?

The bass is under warranty so I may return it if this is the case.

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    It should be the other way round: normally SRs have pretty hot output. It doesn't sound normal at all, return it and get it fixed.

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    If it's under warranty, just get it replaced. It's got some sort of issue with the electronics. There's no reason that bass shouldn't run pretty hot.

8. +1 Yes - something is wrong.

9. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Oct 22, 2013
    Ok I will look into returning it then - thanks for the advice all!

10. Welcome to TB! Nice username. :D

Good luck with it.

11. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Oct 22, 2013
    I have now raised the pickups and I'm still getting a disappointing output level.

It's hard to put a finger on it but the sound just gets lost in band practices - it has an almost distorted quality at its highest level.

Is it just the case that the pickups are rubbish on these?

12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    This is after you returned it?

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Hmm...low distorted volume is usually the sign of a dead battery...are you sure the wiring is ok on that bass? Maybe it's a faulty wire in the onboard preamp that somehow drains the battery...anyway, this is abnormal behaviour... maybe when you initially switched the factory battery you damaged the connector (I don't know why they cut those wires so short and use those flimsy connectors)?

14. lweastdad

lweastdad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I had the same thing occur on an SR 505 that I purchased. I got rid of it as soon as I could and got a different bass..(my 75 reissue JB)

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    It's not the model (nor the brand), it's that particular bass.

Anyway, if you bought the bass new, you should have asked for another one, not just for a fix.

16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    have you tried it without a battery? it may not have any volume without one but from what you are saying it has very little with a batt.