Ibanez SR400 + Emg pickups... gonna sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfgfgf, May 13, 2005.

1. gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    sorry, for asking too much about sr400 from time to time, but is it gonna give me any sound. thanks for reply.
  2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It depends on a few factors. First and foremost, does the bass sound good unplugged? So many players seem to forget this when chosing an instrument. They take one off the rack and immediately want to plug it in. All the changes in the world will not help a bad acoustic instrument sound great! Now back to your question-- lets look at a few things. The bass will absolutely sound different. Better?? Tone is so subjective that it really depends on what you are looking for. When I bought my first 5 string, I did that exact switch. I took a SR 1205 neck through, and gutted the electronics. They were pretty noisy and I really needed the instrument for recording. I knew the bass sounded great unplugged. I figured better electronics could only help. I put in a set of EMG's and a BTS preamp. It became a totaly new bass! Great punch and clarity. Back some years ago I did the same thing to a Spector. I replaced the Dimarzio pu's with EMG's for much of the same reason. Result, a good sounding bass that now sounded bad. If you really like the bass and plan on keeping it for a while, then why not give it a shot. Try shopping around a bit. You might find a set used on TB or the Bay for that matter. If the result is less than you expected as in the case of my Spector, you could then sell them and possibly give something else a try. A little tip: BEFORE making any changes, when replacing any pu's, electronics, etc., either draw a detailed diagram or take a digital pic or two of things . That way if for some reason you ever want to return the bass to it's original set up, there will be no guesswork involved.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SR400's sound great with EMG's. I assume anyway. I played an SR400, two SR800's and an SR645 for a period in my life. The SR800's were close in serial number and the only real difference was color...and electronics. The first 800 had stock pickups and the second had EMG's. I used my EMG bass most of the time live.