Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR400... how bad is that bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfgfgf, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I like Soundgears, starting with the 500 model. Anything below that I've found to be unplayable crap. ;)

Just my opinion, so don't you lower-end SG owners bash me :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started on an SR400 back in 2001, and it was a great bass, still is. Sold the electronics to a buddy who blew his up and have been using the body and neck which are just as solidly built as just about every other bass that have come through in the past four years (about 50 basses) and haven't had any structural issues. Great bass IMO.

3. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    do you think it can sound with its original electronics?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as there's a battery in there ;)

I preferred the EMG's I had once loaded only slightly over the stock electronics. They're good pickups and a good preamp IMO.

5. I have a 505 and I like it. The b is a pretty floppy though and I get some string buzz not associated with poor technique or set up especially on the b string, but the sound is decent with the bart MK-1's.

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The neck is thin, so don't put heavy strings on it and it will need truss rod adjustments more often than other basses. I loved the 2004 model SR3000E with the wenge neck. So I would spend a little extra and get the SR500 series. I think the wenge neck is less susceptible to warping with it's thin width.
    I think Ibanez electronics sound great and are quite versatile. Don't expect a warm vintage sound. They're more modern (better for Rock IMHO)

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The SR500 is a beautiful bass, sounds great and is super LIGHT, very handy for jumping around for long periods of time :D

8. I started with an SR400 as well and I think they're great as beginner/beater basses.
    I have to disagree with Ozzyman, though, I've put everything from very light to extra heavy strings on it and the neck barely budged at all and I have yet to find it necessary to adjust the trussrod 2 years after I've bough it. I too switched out the electronics for EMG's as well and it made a ton of difference to my ears. Especially the stock J pickup sounded very weak and had notably less output than the P. I couldn't get any decent treble out of it either, just clankiness. I'm pretty happy with the EMG's that are in there now.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I had a sr400 for 6 weeks. When I got it I thought wow it has a nice small neck, fast action, a nice body, but I soon learned that was it! No matter how much I tried to like the bass the sound was lifeless, the pups lacked character, I never heard something so bland in my life!. I traded it back in where I bought it (thank God they took it back no questions asked) I ordered a new MIM p-bass and lived happily ever after!

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I played an SR400 gem at a local guitar shop. It played/sounded great! I then played a couple other 400's, and they weren't as nice. Lower-end Ibanez instruments seem to have Fender-syndrome.

--Matthew

11. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    It was my first bass as well. Great beginner bass, i havent had to adjust the truss rod or anything since i got it. I cant play it anymore now though. I like the "baseball bat" neck on my spectors 5 strings and going back to a pencil neck 4 string is next to impossible.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i had an 800. iwas never happy with it.

13. As most of you guys have said, the lower end Ibanez's make great beginner basses, I started on one...I would have kept it too had I not needed the money.

14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I had an older passive model for a couple years. It played well enough to keep me satisfied for a while when the funds were low.

IMO, not a horrible choice if you are a beginner or on a tight budget.