ibanez sr400 vs. 800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Feb 7, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i know one of these suck-
    just which one is it and why?
    ive heard the 800 lacks bass but has hotter pickups, and for the money which would be the better buy?

2. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    The 800 is more expensive and has a more complicated preamp.
    And, If anyone tells you that Ibanez basses sound thin (and they will), just turn every knob (except the pickup one) all the way to the right and ignore 'em. :)
  3. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh, if forgot one thing... The 800 isn't much more expensive than the 400 (at least around here) so I went for the 800.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I was gonna keep the bass stock, I would get the 800. But I hate the sound of Ibanez electronics, even with everything turned up.

The 400 is maple bodied, which has a better bottom and top than basswood, which is what the 800 is made of.

So, if you are buying the bass with thoughts of hotrodding it down the road, get the one that has more potential. If you don't believe me about the body wood making a difference, take one of each into the acoustic guitar room at GC or somewhere similar, where it is quiet and insulated from all of the teenage flea wannabes and wanking guitar-gods-in-waiting.

Play them one at a time, unamplified. See which one sounds better this way. Also, use a strap, and play them with the upper horn and body against your chest. See which one resonates with more bass against your body.

Then YOU decide. Either way, IMHO, the sound of both of these basses with stock electronics is sorely lacking.

They could both be made better with a new preamp, and even better with new pickups. But there is more potential in the maple body IMHO.
  5. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I had both ... well nearly both.
    I had a SR405 (5 strings so) and a SR 800.
    And they are absolutely NOT in the same category.
    That's true, the 800 has a little lack of low depth but with the good preamp it has you can compensate.But it's lighter, the sustain is way better, the preamp and pickups are better sounding and above all, THE NECK ! The neck of the 800 is incredible, IMHO : thin, fast, comfortable ... I'm still looking for a 5 with the same kind of neck (within a reasonnably range of price).
    But the 800 costs a lot more than a 400.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats pretty much mt opinion, the 400 has much better bottom, but the electronics suck. I put Bartolini pick ups and pre amp in place of the stock ones. No its as good as any i have ever heard or played.

Thats my story.