Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR400 vs. Ibanez SR500. worth a change?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfgfgf, May 1, 2005.

1. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I've had Ibanez SR400. I sold it to a friend. Now I kinda feel like I need a bass. I can buy SR400 form a friend or I can buy SR500 from other guy.

Is there a really big difference between those two basses?

thanks everyone for future reply.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What year was the SR400 and what year is the SR500?

Ibanez changed model numbers to the SR400 to the 500 a few times. The SR400 was passive once, active, and then active with an arch top. The SR500 generally became what the SR400 used to be while they squeezed a budget model in there with the SR400 name.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So you're saying they're both new?

4. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    relatively. they're both look like those on the picture.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, depending on the price difference, I'd go with the SR500 because of the Bartolini's. Much better than stock IBZ pickups almost anyday. Other than that, the feel of the 500 is much better (for me anyway) and the necks are pretty much the same. Comparable basses, different pickups.

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I've played both basses, and I have to say that the SR500 is a MUCH better deal. the tone is much better, it feels better (IMO) and it has a 3 band EQ instead of a 2 band. The Bart pickups are alot better than the stock ones as tplyons said earlier. I also want to know why you want an Ibanez so bad... You could get a Music Man (awesome basses) for around the same price. If you do want the Ibanez though, get the 500, it's a nice bass.

Greg

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No. New the SR500 is $530.00, and a stingray is over twice that new. Used, you can find stingrays from 700-1000 dollars depending on condition, finish, electronics, and other things. For around the price of the ibanez, you can get a MM SUB, and I don't know how other people feel about them, but they have horrid tone and the finish is gross. There are more basses out there than MM's and Ibanezes.. It's like MM's are the hands down best basses ever, every man (or woman) to their own.

8. I'd recommend the SR500 just for the extra features and the better playability. Just taking this from my experience with Ibanez basses that are similar.

9. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    ok. Actually the SR500 was made in 1991 (as I was just told).

Is it ok if they're Korean?

10. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    if it was from 91 then it doesnt have the Barts, it came with stock ibz P/J config from what I remember. It was a pretty typical SR bass, not a whole lot like the newer ones.