1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR405 vs Yamaha RBX775

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nico_80, Nov 4, 2006.

1. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    I'm currently looking for a new 5 sting bass. I'm still looking around, but I'm currently looking at these two basses, and I was wondering which would be the better buy? What I'm looking for is something that has that "growl" to it. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. And any place where I could buy on the cheap, since budget is a factor.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    where are you? The reason I ask is because I don't think the RBX775 is available in the US now, and also, it depends upon the country(ies) exchange rate(s). That being said, I own a RBX775, and it's my current main 5.

3. I have a 374, which I think is similar to the 775 except for an inch and a string, it can deffinetly have some growl

4. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    I'm in Southern California. And It's funny you say that, because I decided to go to GC and test some basses out. I found a RBX775 there. It was jacked up though. The top of the neck, at the first fret, had wood chipped and some other issues with it. It sounded pretty good though, alittle too clangy for my taste. But that could have been the amp because I played an Ibanez SR506 afterwards and it was still a bit clangy. It wasn't too bad of a bass. I never got to play an SR405 though. But I enjoyed playing the 506, even though it was a little strange for me. (never played a 6 string before). I only played for a short amount of time, so I might go back and do some more feeling around. But there is one thing I noticed that was different about the Ibanez that the Yamaha didn't have, and that was that the body of the Ibanez felt solid, where the Yamaha felt too light. It might be a good thing or a bad thing, but I don't know. My only experience with basses is with my cheap bass, so I'm trying to take a step in the right direction with this buy. Any other suggestion would be great.

5. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    yamahas tend to have alder bodies, whereas the Ibanez could be maple or mahogany or basswood or alder or ash - that's one of the changes from model to model; I believe that the 506 will most likely be mahogany, but the 405 will probably be maple (sorry - i'm going off of memory, so they might have changed it since, go to ibanez.com to find out) Maple will more than likely have a brighter tone than alder, but that's a personal preference thing.

6. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    Thanks for the info guys.

7. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    RBX gets my vote of the 2 FWIW. Its hugely underpriced.

8. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    What does FWIW mean? Pardon the ignorance. :)

9. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    FWIW = For What It's Worth.....

10. HoDog

HoDog

Sep 25, 2006
    Sydney
    I think the Yamaha RBX775 should be compared to the Ibanez SR505...and everyone knows the SR505 is one of the best value for money basses. The RBX775 is similiar to the RBX375 when you look at the specs, except it has a special bridge, different electronics (and maybe other stuff, not sure). I highly recommend the Ibanez SR505, all I hear is my friend showing off next door

11. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Ibanez. The Ibanez had more comfortable string spacing compared to the Yamaha, and felt comfortable to sit and play with. I'm still going around testing and looking for ideas though.