Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez sr405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegloud, Nov 2, 2002.

1. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    does anybody have a ibanez sr405 and does the string spacing being realclose bother you,?i have one and i dont know if i like it i have 45 day exchange,need input here,thanks

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I once had a sr400 for 6 weeks, the pup's just sounded blah blah blah so I got rid of it. that bass just totally lacked character.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It really depends on what your budget is and what you are looking for. For what reasons would you like/not like it for? I had an sr400 for almost a year before I changed it out for an F bass. It's quite the upgrade but totally worth the money if you have it. However, my sr400 was NOT a bad bass at all, especially for the money. It sounded decent through a good rig and was definitely playable. For 400 bucks or whatever they cost they are not bad.

Personally I do not like Fender's at all, but they are in the same price range (certain ones anyway). The ones I have tried have felt awful and sounded even worse (again this is just my opinion) and I would probably take almost anything over a fender. Sort of ironic really...I'm not really sure what else there is in that price range really...I have heard MTD kingston's are great for the money but I am not sure what range they are in.

So basically your answer is to look around at other options if you aren't sure.

4. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    i think you totally missed the point i was trying to get across about my sr405 its a 5 string,the string spacing is close ,read my ad again ,and you will see what im talking about,

5. I've never really liked the Soundgear line of Ibanez basses at all. The string spacing is narrow, and the pickup is so close to the end of the neck it made it hard to slap on. I definately would look around and find something that fits my playing style before I buy it. Wasting money on a bass that you don't like isn't a very smart move. Just save for one that will make you happy.

jtbp

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had a SR405 and I found the string spacing to be too tight for me. If I played with a pick I may have liked it more, but not as a fingerstyle player.

If youre not comfortable on that Bass, find another.

7. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    now what ? i can spend $400.oo,any suggestions

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Can you try before you buy? Used or new?
    I had a Fender Jazz five that wasnt too bad, and Im sure you could find a used MIM for less than $400, or if you could find a used MTD Kingston, that would be a decent choice.

I havent played a whole lot of other fives, so I cant recommend any others.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No we read your thread , the spacing on both basses are the same. 405 is just a five string version of the 400.

10. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    yes ams will let you return anything within 45 days,no strings attached,plus they will let you buy products on a payment plan ,as long as item is more than $250.00,no credit check ,no finance charges,i would have only paid 120.00 for 3 months thre web sight is www.american musical.comi just met the fender rep here in kansas city he lives about 5 miles from me,what a great person to know ,said i could call him at home anytime with questions,good deal huh!!!!!!!!