Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez sr485 - vs- lakland 55-01 -vs- warwick rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 16, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    ive been lookin at those three basses. Im thinkin about goin 5 string, but not sure yet. Of those three, which do u think is the easiest to transition with from a 4 to a 5 string? and which has the most bang for ur buck?

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    IMO, both the Warwick and the Lakland are FAR superior to the Ibanez, but if I were you I would try all three just to make sure. If you even consider the Ibanez, check out the BTB515, it has the same pickups and I think the same pre as the Lakland....

3. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    A vote for Lakland... I got a 55-01 earlier this year & I'm lovin' it. A very well-built bass overall... sounds great too! And they're inexpensive to boot...

4. i have a ibanez ebd605 its a badass bass with some great features check it out

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have yet to hear anybody say anything really BAD about the Laklands. How 'bout it? Does anyone think they suck? Does anyone think they aren't worth the money? Okay, how about does anyone think they only kick ass a little bit?

I want to hear from someone who has extensive Lakland experience but doesn't particularly love them.

6. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    how are the ibanez srx series? does anybody know??

7. I've spent some time w/ a SRX500. Now I'm on the hunt for one. It truely is a great bass. Plays damn near perfect. Super low action, great electronics and construction.

They're marketing this thing to heavy rock bassists? Wrongo wrongo. It is be far the most complete ibanez bass I've ever played on. Very good for all styles, versatile and playable.

It's alive. Super.

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    But it's not an ATK... ;)

9. It's also got the weakest B in the world.

10. I've only played the SRX500, I didn't get to put my hands on a 505, so that may indeed be true. Dunno on my end.

The 500 (4 string) was an inspirational tool.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    while i think the lakland is probably constructed a bit better than the warwick, i'd still take the warwick based on tone and feel.

12. True Dat! I got a pair of them, fgetted and f-less.

As far as the choices go, Id say that the lakland is the best o' the bunch.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry, can't help you. I love mine...

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've played the 55-94, 55-01, and 55-02, and didn't like any of them.

neck was too wide and flat
    tone was too "tubby" for me
    35" scale sucks

i will say that they're VERY well built though, and that's the only thing that isn't subjective.

15. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have owned a 55-94 and a 55-01 and I thought the 55-01 was better sounding. I like the punchiness of it, but hated the bulky, blocky body. The 55-94 played well, similiar to the 55-01 but had a nice quilted maple top. It had a very pleasant sound, but was too refined for my tastes.