Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR485...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Today I played an Ibanez SR485. It had a Stained Oil finish and black hardware. When I picked it up at first I thought it was a SR405 , so I started to play it, then I looked on the back of the headstock and saw SR485.

I've never heard of this model. Has anyone else ever played one? It was a really nice bass, the low B was kinda floppy and the action was set very low, but that could be fixed. The price tag was 799$ Canadian but the salesman said he'd give it to me for 699$ since I acted like I lost interest in the deal. :D

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I played one the other day. With a good setup the B string and action is pretty good. Sound quality is pretty good (once I got the onboard EQ off of "fieldy style" ;)). It's a really nice bass, really good looking (I really like the look of mahogany). My only complaint was the neck, if only Ibanez had an option for thicker necks... :)

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It is the same as the 405
    THe Difference is in the WOOD.
    The body is made of Stain-Oiled Mahogany instead of Plain Maple or Agathis.
    Much better looks.
    I dont know how it sounds.
    $599 Is the Price you should pay in the US.

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I loved the thin neck.

As soon as I sell my combo i'm gonna buy it.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You cant fix the floppy B.

6. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Hopefully only the display model had the floppy B string.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've yet to play a Soundgear without a floppy B string, and i've played a hell of a lot of them, just to make sure I didn't play all duds. But to my experience, they are all duds.

You'd be best of looking to something else. Soundgears are plagued with floppy B's due to weak necks. I can take the low E down to a C# approx with a little neck bend on a soundgear. That's usually not a good thing. I could take it further, but i didnt want to damage the bass.

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    How did Sam Rivers tune his SR885 to A,D,G,C,F?

9. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Internal, his was probably pretty floppy to, and was they got touring, he was playing total custom Ibanez's anyway. His tone never sounded like he had that good of a B anyway.

Its irrelevant, anyhow. Even if his weren't floppy (very likely were), it doesn't mean yours wont be either! I've never played a Soundgear with an even midrange B. All were just terrible. You can't fix a bad neck. I'd look somewhere else.

11. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    You obviously have never played an SR905!

12. Holy mega necro bump Batman!

I like the overall quality found in most Ibby SRs, but I always had issues with rubbery necks. Any time the weather changed slightly or I looked at it sideways, the action changed. That doesn't mean they're all like that, but the four I had were awful. I think if I was looking at a new Ibby, it would be the ATK805e or Soundgears above the 700 series level.