Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR485?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Sep 28, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    what do u guys think about them?? ive only played 4 strings but im lookin to get into a 5 string bass, this bass seems pretty nice for the price. what would you say? replies are greatly appreciated

2. It's an Ibanez. I'm sure you could do better. For the $600 Musicians Friend is selling them for, you could get an MTD, which is 100 times the bass that Ibanez is.

3. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    **shameless Plug**

They are good, I have one. Have a nice warm, smooth sound. Solid and stable build. If you like the ibanez 4s, it worth giving the 5 string a shot.

If you are interested, mine is forsale. 9 out 10 condition, only a few scratches on the back. Comes with OHSC. I've only had it for about 9 months. I barely play it anymore. 5 strings aint my bag. $450

I have pics available if interested. I also placed an add in the classifieds forum.

4. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    umm... whats an MTD? i probably sound really dumb.. but i dont know too much right now.. hehe

5. MTD stand for Michael Tobias Designs, if I'm not mistaken.

Michael Tobias (one of our own TB pros) is a huge name in the bass luthier world.

Adrien Garcia keeps a them stocked pretty regularly, and the MTD basses have become somewhat of a legend at TalkBass. No one has anything negative to say about them, which can't be said for Ibanez.

Anyway, check out these two sites. www.MTDbass.com and www.access-bass.com

Access bass is Adrien Garcia's site, and it has pics and sound clips of MTDs as well as many other top of the line basses that he sells.

6. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i checked them out, and they seem to be really expensive... i think the cheapest on i saw was over a 2grand... correct me if im wrong tho.. they seem like really nice basses

7. Nonono--look at the Kingston, Heir, and Saratoga. Those are the best "budget" basses out there, period.

The real problem with most sub-$1000 basses is that while the construction might be good, the pickups and especially the preamp are pathetic. The only Korean-made preamp that's worth a damn is the Bartolini-designed one found on the Lakland 55-01, Cort Artisan, Conklin Groove Tools, and Cort Curbow basses.

Actually, if you can swing it, a 55-01 would be an excellent bass for you.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What pete said got me thinking. he said in alot of sub 1000 dollor basses, the preamp and pickups are crap. thats true. but i think i have an exception. You can find Used Ibanez ATK's for around 300 bucks, or, dependign on were you live, new one's for way under 1000. and the preamp really good. The pickup is great to, and if you dont liek the tone, they sell diffrent one's for them, talk to allodox. i mean, even if you did replace the pick up, your comming way under 1000 dollors for one of the greatest, most punchy basses i(and a few others) ever played.

9. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thanx for the help to everyone that replied.. ill be sure to check out the laklands and the mtd's

10. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i just checked out the lakland 55-01.. and it sounds pretty damn nice, but it retails at 999 so i think its a little bit out of my range. However, the MTD Kingston is right around my range, but i was wondering do u guys think the Heir would be worth the extra couple hundred??

11. I had the opportunity to A-B both the Kingston and an Heir this weekend. IMO, yes, the Heir is worth the extra couple hundred. The Kingston is damn nice, but limited tonal variety. The heir, with the additional jazz pickup increases the tonal variety ten fold. If I buy another bass that isn't a true custom, it will be either the Kingston or the Heir. Both are very sweet basses are more than worth their cost.

12. I agree, scrap the Ibanez idea. Many people like the SR series, but the one I owned, while having a very slim neck, was not stable and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Lots of better basses out there such as the suggestions already made to you. Good luck.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I never thought I would be pro-Ibanez, but it really seems like they are getting better. I tried an SRX and was surpriced how good it was. And I know a top-pro player who just recently bought a 6-string BTB and is blown away by it. Come on, they even have Bartolinis in some models.