Ibanez SR485?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Yeah.. well Ive been looking for a 5string bass recently. Right now I have a Yamaha RBX760A (forest green... im lookin to sell if anyones interested), but I really need a 5 string for my band. So far Ive been looking at 2 basses in particular, the Yamaha RBX765A and the Spector NS-2005. However, recently Ive come across the Ibanez SR485. Ive not been a fan of the SR series of Ibanez in the past, but this one caught my eye. Active PU's, Mahogany Body, Wenge in the neck.. it looks great too.

what are your opinions on this bass? Is it worth it, or should I stick with either the RBx765 or the Spector?
  2. I'd pick the SR over the RBX any day.. definately.. but I have naver played a Spector so I can't compare them.
  3. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I just recently purchased an SR485 from AMS. I've been playing 4-strings for 30 years and finally made the jump to a 5 for a number of reasons I won't get into here. Long overdue though. I didn't have a boat-load of money to spend and before I made the buy, I borrowed a friends 5-string bass that just happened to be a 3 or 4 year old SR485. I loved his. I have a small hand and the SR neck is a really good fit for me. I gigged with it a few times and that's when I came to the conclusion (as did the rest of the band) that we need this. I was looking at a Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 (really loved that one) but didn't have the money I needed to make the buy. Then I just happened to receive the latest AMS catalog and found the SR485 on close-out for $399.00. Had to make the jump. I knew what it sounded like, knew how it felt. I guess it was fate. I received it 48 hours later. I love it. My only concern I have is the oil-finish mahogany body. Don't know how hard that will be to keep up as I use it on stage. As far as the performance features, it really works for me. I am with a wide-ranging cover band that plays anything from Early Elvis to Disturbed and pretty much anything in between. Up until now, I've been covering that music with a Fender P, and an ESP LTD F-204. With my rig, the SR485 seems to cover all the bases for the tonal range I got between the other 2 bases combined. No complaints yet and the rest of band loves it.

Incidentally, would welcome any feedback regarding care of the oil-finish mahogany body.
  4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    ^^wow, great info! Thanks man.

Well I guess right now what Im gonna do is keep an eye out for all of the basses i listed... and whichever one i can find a better deal on ill go with it.