Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR496BM: Can this be "saved" with a new preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Jun 10, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got an Ibanez SR496 6-string. It has a mahogany body with an OK sound when I put my ear to the horn (unamplified) - but the amplified sound is *nasty*. No appreciable distortion or defects, just "SoundGear *blech*".

I read in one post that on the lower-end basses (this was $600 or so), the real problem is the preamp - not the pickups.

Would anyone care to comment on the chance of "salvaging" my SR496 by getting a decent preamp (but not pickups)?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I pullled the electronics out of my SR400 (same preamp I believe) and went entirely passive. I'm running a Dimarzio Model P with P-bass wiring and love it. I think anything without Ibanez electronics would be an improvement.

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm having the same problem with my Ibanez RD500 Fretless. It sounds great umplugged, TONS of Mwah, growl and definition, but plugged in it's just muddy, no real lows, and a harsh treble. It has a 2 way "soundgear" preamp ;).

So, i'm installing a set of Bartolinis, and a passive Vol-Vol-Vol-Tone setup, with one Volume knob for each coil (it has a J\MM config), plus new switchcraft jack, sprague caps and CTS pots.

I'm curious what to expect too!

Cheers,
    -Erlend