1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR500 Bart MK PU/Pre problem, please help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Derakh, May 15, 2006.

1. Derakh

Derakh

Jan 18, 2005
    Lately I've been getting a lot of natural distortion when I play low on my E string. At first I thought it was my wireless but when I tried it with a cable it still produced the same distortion sound. I tried pulling the pickups back a bit but its starting to effect my tone too much if I bring them back anymore. The only time the distortion does not occure is when I set the volume on the bass back to around 5-6, which in turn seams to miss a lot of my fingerstyle and slap attack when sending to my amp.

Does it sound to you all like the pickups or the preamp might be the culprit? I like a pretty colorful sound so I tend to keep most of my EQ above 6 on the bass and keep the amp flat.

Any recomendations on new pickups or a pre-amp system and where to get them?

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Have you changed the battery?

3. Derakh

Derakh

Jan 18, 2005
    sure did, put a brand new e3 in just last week, no difference I'm afraid. Thanks for the idea though.

4. rashbeep

rashbeep Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i have an sr900 and can honestly say ive never had a problem like this before...:meh:

5. Derakh

Derakh

Jan 18, 2005
    I went to my local store today and played a 505 that didn't do it either... It must be something wrong with just my bass, just wish I could pinpoint what it was.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Is your amp's -14db input pad on?

7. Derakh

Derakh

Jan 18, 2005
    yes I have my amp in Active mode, though its a -12db not 14, is it possible that is not enough?