Ibanez SR500 or Fender Zone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrock111, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    I am looking to buy a new bass soon. Got a chance to play the Zone, nice sounding and playing bass. I always liked the playability of Ibanez basses and the SR500 looks interesting but I can't find one at any of the local music stores. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these two basses and any input would be helpful.
  2. I havent played both, but in my opinion I like the SR500 better It has Bartiloni pickups an more modern and nicer altogether feel. You might also like the neck. I think its a better value. But Im sure alot of people woud defend the zone. With Ibanez and Fender you really need to try both because some people will swear their life that Fender is better and "ibanez sucks" because fender is better built(so they claim) . Then you have others who will swear that Ibanez is the better of the two and fender is "the bottom of the barrel" and a rip-off(so they claim) So you often have to try out both to discover your own needs because Fender and Ibanez are different and I personally prefer Ibanez but i do like and respect Fender. :bassist:
  3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Not sure if you still need opinions, but I thought I'd chime in because I played an SR500 today and am really really impressed. Everything about it was amazing. I bet if you try one, you'll buy it.

4. The Zone felt a bit more like a Fender, which was nice for me (I'm a Fender fan). Nice, light bass that looked pretty well-built. I'm not sure which model you speak of exactly in terms of the Ibanez, but I've played good and bad. Not sure if the number (SR500) is near the bottom or not, but I've played some pretty crappy SRs and some pretty good ones. I'd advise you to play one before you decide.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I ahve played msot of the new Ibanez basses, and the SR500 series is very solid with a good punchy tone, The SRX500 series has a bit more aggressive sound, and is very good quality as well. If you like ibanez and fender tone I woudl really recommend trying out the Stu Hamm Fender (the cheper model) it has a great feel and sound, is of much better quality than most of the MIM basses. Very cool bass- the only Fender I'd ever consider buying actually.