Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR500 problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Feb 6, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    This question might be better suited in another thread but I thought I would get some opinions here first. My friend has an SR500 with a very week sounding A string, but only with the blend knob rolled forward with the P pups on. I suspect that its the P pups? I pulled them out and they look like they have an internal pre-amp? I was thinking of trying to swap out the pups with some P's I have lying around just to check, but not sure if standard passive pups will work or not? Anyway, any help on whtat to do or anyone else have the same problem to share would be greatly appreciated!

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    P-pups should have height adjustment screws for both halves, perhaps you could try raising the side of the pup below the A-string? or perhaps your A-string is just too high?

ive never heard of the pickup picking up strings like this if it was installed optimally.

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks ehque, but I did the whole string height thing with no luck. The string still sounds thin with no umph. But with just the back J bridge pup it sounds fine and very even with the other strings?

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    How high is your action of the A string in relation to the other strings? That might also help if you adjust the action.

*edit

What about your EQ settings? Are they low mid scooped? That would take a lot of the oomph out of the A string.

5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I set the eq flat and messed with it a bit also. Still sounds bad. It seems like its got to be the P pups b/c with the J pup in the rear the A sounds really good. So, should I try to replace the P pups with some I have lying around or do I need to use pups with some kind of pre-amp built in?

6. Not that this helps your problem, but are you sure it's an SR500? I've got one, and it has two soapbars. In fact, I've only ever seen soapbards in the SR500s.

7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Well it sez SR500 on back/top of the head stock and on the removable EQ map in-between the knobs. It does say SDGR on the front/top of the head stock if that helps at all? thanks for any help! :)