Ibanez Sr500 question/advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazznfusion, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jazznfusion

jazznfusion

Jan 12, 2011
    Connecticut
    Im heavily considering this bass. Im currently playing a MM sub sb4, but dont like the way it plays "for me". the overall feel, tone and comfort isnt designed for me. My next bass will be my second and the one im going to be using for a good while. i was also considering the schecter stilleto, but leaning towards the ibanez. id appreciate any input from soundgear owners pros and cons. thank you this would be a big help!!

2. Once you hit the 500, the SR basses really start to rule. They have extraordinarliy thin necks, so if you're not comfortable with that, you may want to look at something else.

3. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Pros: cheap, especially used. Premium & Prestige are good "as is"
    Cons: weak electronics (not applicable to Premium and Prestige), neck profile may be too slim for some.

Personal observation: out of my 4 ibbyz - the best sounding are the 2 heaviest. The 2 lighter ones have noticeably less sustain.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1

Amazingly I'm a fat neck guy (love my G&L, my SX, even my Wishbasses!) but I still love my thin Ibby necks. How can a neck be too thin I ask? My SR506 definitely rules.

But MM basses are classics and very unique and nothing will quite be like one. On the other hand Ibbys are ALSO classics. MODERN classics. Ibby's are a perfect compliment to the MM thing. My SR506 has a huge fat full tone that simply kicks major butt all over the place. If you are looking for a Fender jazz this ain't it.

I know a local bass player who gigs with just two basses: His Fender Squier Jazz and his Ibby. He simply brings down the house every time with them. I would have a hard time using my MM (it's an OLP) for everything, but a MM - Ibby pair would seem equally kick butt.

5. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Slender neck, light, decent (but not stellar) pups, great bass for the $$ IMO- but I don't know much. I just bought one, so I love it.

I'd say you need to get your hands on one to decide- like you said, you don't like the way your MM plays "for you", so you'll have to decide if you like the SR. From all the homework and comparing I did, I can tell you it gets great reviews and I liked it better than anything else I got my hands on. But, again, it's only my second bass.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Im a happy ibby owner. If you like lightweight highly playable basses you will like the sr500. The electronics do just fine.

7. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    One of the best basses I have ever owned. I play others but I keep coming back to it.

8. All depends on the neck profile. If you like the SR500, go for it! Excellent instrument from an excellent company, good aftersales support too.

9. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I play an SR605 which is practically the same thing except for the wood and of course the 5th string, and I'm very happy with it. Super light and comfortable. I only play 5 strings and I don't feel this neck is too narrow compared to others it's still comfortable. I once played an SR500 at guitar center and to me the neck was way too narrow compared to other 4s but that might be your thing. The SR500 neck is comparable to an electric guitar's neck.

The thing that bothers me at times, is the crisp sharp highs in the SR basses. I play reggae rock, I prefer a deep mellow bass tone. I struggled to obtain this tone with this bass for a long time and in some stages I still do. I use GHS PressureWound strings which truly help me mellow my tone. If you have a strong amp head and cabinet then this isn't a problem.

The electronics are pretty good in my opinion. They do what you need them to. The bass knob to me makes it more boomier than bassier (there's a difference...) I struggled to find a good tone until last show where I decided to just keep all knobs centered (which would be 0 boost 0 cut) and did all of my EQing on my amp head and I got a FAT tone. It was awesome :)

Great bass overall In fact last practice I dropped it :( just standing there talking and all of a sudden my strap slips out and my bass falls face up. Fortunately, nothing was damaged other than a few little scratches on the black tuning pegs. I was surprised by how the bass survived the fall which to me speaks well towards its durability.

10. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The SR500 seems to be the consensus starting point for good quality serviceable basses that can handle most pro-level situations. I play ibbys quite a bit (5 string) and just love their neck through basses. The thing I find about the lower SR's is that they are easy to modify IF you don't like their electronics. If the rig is comfortable, you'll prolly own it, play it, put it away and get interested in other basses...but always come back to it. Enjoy the journey!

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    The import Barts on the 500 series and up sound great IMO. No reason to change or "upgrade".

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Yep, no reason to change it out at all. I don't have the SR500 but I do have the SR505 and I love it. I play it thru a GK MB115 and have gotten many compliments on how good it all sounds. As others have said, the treble response from the preamp can be a bit much, so I keep that knob barely on as well as keeping the treble on my amp down a bit as well.

Like anything else, take your time to play and compare to find "the one."

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Ibby SRs have their own distinct sound & feel. The tone is modern, but the EQ makes them very versatile. The 50X models have a tad more aggressive tone with lots of bite and they easily stand out in the mix. The newer models (with the mid switch) have a more open tone (focused on high mids), th eolder models sound darker and more muscular. Overall they all have a piano like resonance to them, each note rolls out very clear.

There are no significant differences between the 50X models and the higher number ones, mostly are just aesthetics. And btw, they don't have weak elecronics at all (I don't know where that came from) - quite the opposite.

As for getting a particular tone out of it...don't be afraid to tweak those freakin' EQ knobs - that's why you got them onboard in the first place :) 3 band EQ, mid switch...sounds plenty to me :) Experiment more with your gear, don't keep everything set at noon and expect magic to happen - it's hardware - does not come with presets, you know :)

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I owned an SR505 briefly. The electronics package was quite nice actually. The electronics in the lower models are already good but the SR50X and above have even better and the mid frequency switch adds more to the versatility than you would expect. I liked everything about the bass really, except for its narrow five string spacing. That seemed nice at first but not in the long run for me. If I had bought an SR500 and tuned it BEAD I am certain that I would still have it. If the bass plays well for you in stores (take your time and make certain) then I think it will serve you for a very long time. Some have complained that the finish wears quickly. I did not have mine long enough for that to be an issue so I don't know if that is a real problem or not.

Ken

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021