1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR500 Soundgear Vs Warwick Rockbass corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, May 14, 2006.

1. Can anyone give me any advice on which of these is better? Any past experiences? Pros and Cons etc.... which one is overall better?
    Cheers

2. anyone at all???

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    1. define better
    2. what are you looking for in a bass?
    3. what kind of music do you play?

gotta give us something to go on here dude.

4. okie doke
    better in terms of ease of playing it - fast neck, gud action etc
    i want a bass i can play all styles on (pick, fingers, slap) for various types of music from funk to metal
    I just want a bass that plays well enough to help me progress further as a player

5. karankumar

karankumar

Feb 6, 2012
    Hey
    I just played the Rockbass Corvette Basic and Ibanez SR500 BM at my local shop today. I play mostly classic rock and blues with occasional slapstyle playing too.

I found the tone especially, while slapping on the warwick is incredible. I instantly dug it. This is the 2010+ rockbass with the slim(mer) neck profile and new bridge. But when i played the ibanez, the neck was just so smooth and fast...tone was not better than the warwick sadly.

SO im in a fix. Also, the warwick had a maple neck and the ibby, a jatoba/bubinga neck. Another point to note is that i stay in Mumbai which is very humid. I had a Squier VM Jazz earlier which i sold coz of the bad action and neck that used to bend very often. It was maple, so i have a bias there.

I know this is an earfull, but any help would be really apprreciated. What should i do?

Thanks.

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I played both too when I was in the market last year or so... and I was really disappointed with the warwick.. I had always admired them and then I finally played one and the Ibanez played and sounded better... maybe it was the active vs. passive pickups? I bought the SR505 and have loved it ever since...

7. Played both recently at GC... gotta say I prefer the Ibanez in all aspects.

8. karankumar

karankumar

Feb 6, 2012
    The Warwick i'm talking about has actives on it. Its the Rockbass Corvette Basic (i played the "Classic" too ) with EMC actives. I dont know. It just sounded lush. (I wonder what'll happen when i play a real warwick :p) The ibby on the other hand was silky smooth. :D

I've heard from a lot of people that ibanez basses have a very generic sort of tone you know. No real character. Sort of felt that too. Anyone else who's played either of these basses please give me an insight. :confused:

9. The Corvette i played had 2 humbuckers, and one problem i notices was that it seems to lack versatility, and im not talking "only good for metal", i mean it was hard to get alot of different tones out of it. It might have to do with the fact that the 2 pickups were pretty much right beside eachother, not sure though. Was also a somewhat heavy bass, but the balance was good.

The SR500 ive played, alot with many other soundgears ive tried, have all sounded quite nice and had alot of variety in the tones they could achieve, and were not heavy at all. I personally would recommend the ibanez.

10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    That's what ppl that don't play Ibbys usually say :) Thing is, they do have their own kind of sound, it's just that's not in your face/ear as other brands/models. Plus Ibanez has so many different bass models that it's a bit silly to make such statements - 'cause for ex a BTB sounds different from a SR or from an ATK ;)

On a different note, most folks rocking Ibbys play them for their ergonomics, reduced weight and their lightning fast necks. IMO these are far more important aspects than a particular tone. There is more than just the bass that goes in your final sound (amp, cabs, effects, cables, strings, etc) and still the Ibby EQs are versatile enough to get a lot of different tones so there's plenty of room for tweaking.

Ok, for some a good tone is all they need, they can strive and constantly try to adjust to a bass, but I know that's not working for me - I need a bass that feels right out of the box, and not something to constantly struggle with for the sake of a certain sound.

And one more thing: it seems certain folks diss Ibbys simply because they can't get a good tone out of them. And sometimes that's not the bass to blame.

11. I like both of these basses really. I'm really into my Warwick's, great basses.

Both are really great though, but a lot different too. The Warwick has single coil jazz pickups where the Ibanez has soap bar style pick ups. The Warwick is Alder body and Maple neck, where the Ibanez is a Mahogany body/Bubinga neck. They're going to sound pretty different from each other. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be versatile and be able to play lots of different styles, etc. but it does mean they're going to sound difference, and that's going to be more of a user preference.

I'd check out some Youtube demos if possible and other things like that if you can't actually get out to try one out.

12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    It wouldn't surprise me if some folks preferred the Warwick tone. It's a tossup for me. As far as playability, it's Ibanez hands-down.

If it were me, I'd get the Ibanez. Just for the weight and playability, if nothing else. Plus they're stone-cold sexy.

Also: I'd get the 505.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    A friend of mine at a church I attended for 7 years had both of these basses exactly. The Rockbass sounded the best on it's own, but had less presence and personality in the mix than the SR. The SR with the humbucking Barts has a much more even tone that makes it sit in a live mix well. This is true of soapbar-style humbuckers in general in my opinion. Solo, the SR can sometimes seem to be harsher in the uppermids and lower treble response, but that same aspect makes it just work in a live setting. On the other hand, the Rockbass had a growl to it solo with more tame highs, but in the mix it seemed to be heard more than felt. I know these two basses well because me and this guy took turns playing and mixing sound most weekends. The SR just works in a mix, but if you don't like it yourself then that doesn't matter of course.

As others have said, it's hard to find a better neck profile than the SR's if you like it thin and sleek.

IMHO/E

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Get the Ibanez. You say it plays better to you.

If you later decide you want to change pups and or preamp you can.

15. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Way to bump a 6 year old thread. ha.

I had 2 Soundgear basses years ago, a 4 and a 5. Having the hands of a guy who's 5' 8", I appreciate the ease of getting around the neck and as others have said, they are very light weight as well.

That said, I've always had a softspot for Warwicks and when I recently got more serious about playing again, spent some time at music shops and just had to try the more affordable Rockbass. I tried the standard with 2 j-style pups, but it was the $$ Corvette that I ultimately settled on as the sound just seemed more a part of the bass itself - even the lower cost, Chinese made bolt on. Watch for the newer ones that have the 2 pc bridge and don't say "Rockbass" on the headstock - those were early offshore units that they had quality issues with.

The Warwick is a touch heavier, but that is part of the sound - still better than a P or Jazz, though. I did spend a lot of time with the SR500 which instantly felt comfortable to me and the light weight really is a nice feature. You'd do well with either, really. The Ibanez is a little easier to play and if I hadn't already had 2 in the past I might have gone there, while the Warwick will give you a slightly more full bodied sound across all strings, that I was after with my latest purchase.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Ibanez. No question.

17. karankumar

karankumar

Feb 6, 2012
    Thank You so much guys. This has been a lot of help. I think i'm leaning towards the ibanez now just for the playability aspect. In fact, the reason i sold off my squier and am getting a new bass is because the playability of the squier was doggone annoying. I cant deal with truss rod adjustments every week and keeping the strings loosened all the time. In any case, i have a VT too so i can fiddle with the tone enough to dial in something i dig.

Just another thing. Is it me or are maple necks just susceptible to humidity and tend to give way easier. I had 2 basses with maple necks and faced major warping issues with both. I hope the jatoba/bubinga neck won't give me such issues. :meh:

18. karankumar

karankumar

Feb 6, 2012
    People here jump on you like a bitch in heat if you don't use the search feature well enough so i thought it was fair enough to play ball. The dude abides. :cool:

Well i don't know. I played the $$ but felt limitations to its versatility (maybe it was because it was passive compared to the other actives i was trying). Sat with it for more than half an hour but somehow was not able to dial in more than just about one..maybe barely two tones i dug.

Okay this is news because as far as i know, the new rockbasses have the 'W' instead of 'rockbass' on the headstock. Correct me if im wrong. Because those were the ones i tried (with W on the headstock)...

19. The Ibby Sr500 is significantly better than any Warwick Rockbass both in tone and playability. The Rockbasses shouldn't even have the Warwick brand attached to them since they're in no-way an accurate representation of a real Warwick.

However, in saying that, you might want to look into the Warwick Pro Series line which are made in Korea. They're much more comparable to the German Warwicks in tone and playability but with a MUCH cheaper price tag. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks more than the Ibanez SR500. Big step ahead of the Ibby, btw.

20. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Don't get yourself fooled by their shaddy claims, man :)

They say the W tone comes from that baseball neck - and yet "somehow" they've managed to slim it down a lot on their newer models.

They say all that body weight adds to the W tone - and yet the Ash Vette is very light, but still sounds like a Warwick.

So which is it? :)

I don't trust their adds anymore ;) Lots of talking, less QC & care invested in their products. My 2 cents anyway.