1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR500, SR600 and SR600SR...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I was looking at the GC website and checking out some of the Ibanez basses. I saw the SR500 and the SR600. There is another one that is called the SR600 SR. I'm not sure what the differences are with the 2 SR600's. Can anyone tell me what the main differences may be between these 3 basses as far as sound, tone, the way they are built? I'm familiar with the SR500, I guess I'm curious how much of a difference there is between the 500 and 600 series. Thanks for any help.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez,4-String-Electric-Electric-Bass,New-Gear.gc

2. OK...now I just want to know if anyone has a SR600 or have played one. If so, what do you think? Thanks.

3. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    The only difference between the SRs seems to be the wood or finish used and the electronics between the different low/mid/high level models in some cases. Those 2 SR600 are the same model, one is in natural and the other is in walnut color. Id HIGHLY suggest not buying new. You can get a nicer used model SR for less than what those are going for new if you look around.

4. jay43

jay43

Jan 4, 2006
    I think the only difference is that the sr600 has a maple top. Electronics and the bridge are the same i think. The differences in the sr600 do not justify the price increase imo.

5. I'm just trying to decide right now. I had a SR500 at one time but I sold it. I wish I still had it. The SR600 probably comparable? I know the 600 has some sort of switch...not sure what it is.

6. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Edited my original post. The switch is a mid frequency selector switch. Its on the newer SR models (500 and up). Youll still see a lot of the older SR for sale w/o the switch.

7. I really like the natural flat finish on the 600.

8. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Id suggest looking around at new old SR. You may find a wood, color or pickup combo you love.

9. I'll check some places. Maybe I'll luck out and find one on here.

10. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    No problem, i just skimmed through TB and Ebay real quick. There are a lot more but those just stood out most for me.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I got to try out one @ GC about 2 wks ago and I thougt it was a great sounding/playing bass for the price.....I put it on layaway.

12. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Ill say it again, you just shouldnt pay retail on most basses. Ibanez is at the top of the list of ones you shouldnt buy new from a shop unless you get an insane deal.

13. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I got the SR600 in natural finish. it has an ash body, weighs less than 7 pounds. Very growly. great bass.

14. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Less than 7 pounds? Is that a guess or actual weight?

15. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    Actual weight.

16. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Pic on scale osr shens! lol

17. Piehead99

Piehead99

Mar 15, 2011
    Would the SR600 do for playing metal/hardcore? I like the look of it and they appear to be going for a decent price these days, anybody know how it'll stand up to drop-tuning and being played pretty heavily?

18. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    That would depend on all sports of things. I think any bass that weighs less than 20 pounds is not good enough for the heavy sound you need for metal. ;)