Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR500/SR900 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 24, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about selling my Jazz Bass and buying either an Ibanez SR900 or the SR500. I think most of you would say to go for the 900, but there's just something about the 500 that keeps me coming back. I have a few questions, if you don't mind helping me out.

The SR500 neck is bubinga/wenge. Doesn't wenge in the neck add a natural growliness to basses? Has anybody found this with their SR500/505?

The body seems to be untreated mahogany except for the stain. This concerns me 'cause mahogany isn't the hardest of woods. If I got one could I use a sealing oil like polymerized tung oil to seal and protect the finish?

The SR500 and SR900 have the same electronics and bridge. The difference is that the 900 is maple (w/a little bubinga) and neck-thru while the 500 is mahogany/wenge/bubinga and bolt on. What would be tonal difference between the two since the only difference is the woods?

Thanks!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'm about to place my order for a new SR905 myself. I just like everything about them.

As for woods, I own both a Rickenbacker which is made from Maple and a Thunderbird which is made from Mahogany.
    Both are neck through and both are deadly basses.

I'm saying that I don't believe you would be disappointed in either the SR500 or SR900 because of the wood used in each.
    Choose which bass most appeals to you ears, eyes and budget. That's why i've chosen to buy the SR905 of all the other 5-string basses out there.
    Good luck

TD

3. Thanks! I figure that since the electronics and hardware is the same it all comes down to looks and woods. I really like the looks of the SR900, but it's all maple and would probably be fairly bright. The body of the SR500 is fairly plain, but I do like natural woods and I'm really drawn to that wenge/bubinga neck.

The other thing I'm thinking about is that I could probably get $800 - $900 for my Jazz Bass. If I bought the SR900 that would be it. If I bought the SR500 I'd have enough left over to replace the pickups with real Bart's.

I'd love to try a SR900 out, but they're special order basses.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

4. Make sure you try a Yammy TRB 1005 first. ALot better than I thought it would be.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I checked them out. I like the 35" scale of the Yamaha but that was it. I prefer neck through designs and the looks of the SR905CNF.

[​IMG]

6. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I was saving up for a Corvette 5 string. So i got the money and went to GC to pick up the bass... While i was waiting for them to make fine adjustments, I was playing around with the basses. I had heard people really hated SR basses, so i tried one out. This may sound extremly terrible but, i ended up getting an SR505 instead of the Warwick... i have a lot of money left over too :)! I just love the feel of it. I guess I kinda got lucky. There were two SR505's in the store, i played both of them. One played absolutly terribly. The one i got played better then the 'vette!! Well, im a happy bassist with a happy bass. Good luck choosing!

The only trouble i had with the finish on my SR505 was that when i popped, my nail scratched the wood. I simply cut my finger nails far down. As for the tonal difference, its a matter of preference. My teacher likes 900's and i like 500... he might be right but...

7. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey Fourstringbliss- :D I special ordered a SR 900 Antique Violin finish after going to about 15 major cities and calling 50 or more music stores on the west coast before I finally was able to try one...I had already tried the SR700 and SR500,but I was very glad I waited...It was fantastic-great playability(I suffered through a Fender P Bass for many years-since 67- because everyone had one),the active EQ provides the platform for churning out great sounds you never thought existed thru those big Bartolini PUPs. Its the best guitar I've ever played :bassist: and I no longer yearn for another bass guitar...try one out if you can...I think I demoed mine in Pasedena at "Professional Music" or something like that...Peace...DAcat... :cool: