Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR500 v. SR 640 v. SR800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swa240z, Sep 8, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a decent used bass for my 12 year old son who is just starting out. I've found the following Ibanez in my price range: a 1993 SR500, a 2000 SR640, and a 1991 SR800. The 500 and the 640 are the same price, but the 640 is was purchased new 4 months ago. The 800 is $50 more than the other two, but might need some setup work.

What are the basic differences between the three and is one considerably better than the others? I know that some of you guys don't like Ibanez, but for it's intended purpose, it's more than good enough.

Thanks for your input!

2. I think the '91 SR800 is a japanses made model, if it's in good shape, you can't go wrong with it.

Im a former SR885 (5 strings) owner, it's a pretty good bass, one of the best basses ibanez (japan) has done.

EBP

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I would definently pick the SR800, it should be made in Japan. Japanese models are build much better than later Korean ones.

4. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    you cant go wrong with the 800, is a great bass, so much beter than my gsr200. even though im a novice bass player, i can say that ibanez basses are one the best basses for begginers and even experienced people. and sure itll beat the korean and indonesian ibanezes.

5. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    ...this is it?

:D

6. Thanks for the comments so far - I figured that the 800 was the way to go between the three.

I realize that different basses sound different, but how does the SR800 stack up against a Yamaha RBX760 in terms of quality? I just found a 760 in my price range.

Thanks again!

7. I still prefer a SR800 over THAT Yamaha, other models (high end) could beat it.

EBP

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Play them both and see what you think. I would get the Yamaha. Better tone, to my ears.