Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez sr500 v. sr900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Nov 16, 2004.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i have been looking for another 4 string bass, w/ active pickups. I have always liked ibanez soundgears due to their thin necks, and used to have a 405. Anyways, i have been looking into the sr500 and sr900. the 900 is the neck thru model, and the only real difference (other than neck thru) is the wood. the 900 is maple, where the 500 is mahogany the bridge is a little different too, but the price is what gets me. for both being so close, i don't know if i should just go for the 500, which is about $519, compared to the 900's $699 price tag. Has anyone had experience with both of these? both have the korean bart pickups, hardware, eq, etc...

2. Neither of those Soundgears have active pickups, the bartolini mk1's are passive, the only thing thats active is the preamp. If you wanted something that was entirely active, I'd look into perhaps a SR885, or even a K5, if you wanted to spend that much. You can pick up a 2nd hand 885 for fairly cheap, but the k5 blows it out of the water. I've played both of the models you mentioned earlier. IMO the 905 is a touch better. The 505 had a really floppy and weak B, whereas the 905 did not. Both of their tones were fairly ordinary though. If you want to stick with ibanez, I highly recommend paying a bit more for a K5, you don't have to be a Korn fan to appreciate it's great tone and playability... hope this helped.

3. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    need money- thanks, i forgot that the pickups were passive. The active eq is what i was looking at. I like the soundgears b/c of how thin they are, neck wise. I am only looking for a four string though, ive already got a 5 that is great. thanks for your help. the shops around here don't have either of the models to try. the nearest guitar center to me is a little over 2 hrs away, and the local music stores are great, but im not sure if one would order both for me to try.

4. Oh sorry, didn't realize you were after a four, but if you were going to get either of those two ordered, i'd go for the 500, it's cheaper, and tonewise it's practically the same as the 900.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

Yeah. I recently checked the sr500 out.Nice bass.

6. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks guys, thats what i was figuring. Was there any difference at all? or ones that weren't worth the extra $180.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm going to deviate from the norm and say that $180 is a minimal amount to pay for a well-constructed neck-through, figured-maple body (I've found all-mahogany bodied basses to be a touch muddy unless laminated to a brighter wood), and a comfy Spector-esque curved body.

Granted, most of these are subjective facts (you very well might prefer the tone of a bolt-on to a neck-through, mahogany to maple, etc.) that only you can decide on. For some additional info, Bass Player gave the SR-905 a excellent review noting "Versatile sounds; elegant design; excellent construction and components" that I imagine would carry over to the four-string version. The best think you can do is what you're doing right now: asking questions and evaluating the features. :D

8. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    scarred2112- I don't have a problem paying the extra money if it is worth it. In fact, i spent an hour today wrapping all the loose change i had ($80) for that specific reason. Maybe i will suck it up and drive somewhere to compare them. I have read the bass player mag review a few times, and was pleased with the review. A few years ago i owned an eda900.... and i loved the curved back

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've tried the SR 900 twice at two different stores. Wow! This was poor man's Spector--in a good way. It felt great, sounded great, and is mighty easy on the eyes. One odd thing, the first one I saw actually had a black tint but as far as I know, they only come in amber (the color I saw at the 2nd store I tried it out). Well, that black see-thru flame job was fantastic. Great bass whatever color, but if you can find that black...

r

10. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    apparently you can find it in transparent black from a couple places. I have had black basses before, but im sticking with amber. I actually placed an order at my local music store for the 900 today. I am selling a couple things around the house that i don't use, and using my early christmas gift to help pay for it. When it comes in, i will snap a few pics. I can't wait!!!

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes! Please post some pix! I recall checking the Ibanez site a couple of months back looking for this strange SR900 I saw in black. Well I found it on their site but it only said amber for color options as far as I know. Recently, I've seen at Bass Northwest a 5 string version with natural finish that was just stunning. I don't recall seeing that at the Ibanez site either. Maybe its since been added. Reckon I better have another look. Enjoy that bass!

r

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i've never played an sr900, but i love and cherish my sr500, however i had to swap out the stock AFR pickups with EMG's t oreally make it sound mean and sweet, but i would do it again FWIW

13. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
  14. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    well it looks like i will be getting the black afterall- ibanez doesn't stock the amber anymore due to changes they are going to make. Apparently the black was a special edition or something. they also have an alternate color for the 905. But regardless, it should look hot, and i will post pics when it comes in

15. StringMan50

StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    USA
    Great looking bass. Wish I had the sr905 i'm the poor man on the block. Guitar traders has several picture of the transparent black one.http://www.guitartrader.com/ Do a search for sr900 enjoy that new bass Ibanez rule.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the SR900, but if i were you, id save up and get the sr3000e, great bass :bassist:

17. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks man, i haven't seen that many pics of the black!!! i can't wait for this to come in

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow...those don't have active PUs? My RB800 (80s model) has active pickups...and I got it for $171 with a case...:p

But...take a look at the SR300DX - they're pretty good from what I've seen. (and played a bit)