1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR500 vs the SR500PB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acoustic58, Mar 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. acoustic58

acoustic58

Mar 18, 2015
    Ok, I am completely confused. The Ibanez SR500 is selling everywhere new for $599.99. The only color it comes in is that dark brown flat finish. I happened to come across a model called the SR SR500PB and that model comes in a couple other colors. I looked on the Ibanez site and the PB version does not even show up so I called them. I was told that the SR500PB is made for Guitar Center. I was also told that the quality is exactly the same as well as every piece of electronics on the guitar. The kicker is that the Blackberry Sunburst, which I think looks so much better than a flat solid brown color, is selling for $100 less than the standard SR500. So my question for anyone is this.. Has anyone picked up the SR500PB and played it and if so, do you find anything that is different? I am also curious if Ibanez has addressed the issue with the quality of the body finish because 90% of the reviews I have read mention how cheap the finish was on SR500 and that is scratches very easily. It sounds like all Ibanez did was put a thin coat of dark brown stain on the body and call it finished. Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks..

2. I had a 2011-ish SR500PB, which was stolen a few years ago. It is exactly the same as the normal SR500, except for the top wood is not mahogany, but poplar burl (hence the PB in the name). It plays and sounds exactly the same as the SR500.

Is the SR500PB still around? My understanding is that it was a limited edition for Guitar Center a few years ago. I looked to replace my SR500PB when it was stolen, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere (early 2013).

I recently bought a SR805AWT, which has a similar poplar burl top as the SR500PB, and the finish is a smooth satin. It looks and feels great. There are opportunities for damage, of course, but I don't think the usual finish stripping you see on SR50x basses is going to be a problem with the SR500PB. Buy it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. I saw this too and was set on trying the SR500 in "light violin sunburst" before encountering a nice open box deal on an ash SR600. The latter is very nice and doesn't appear to have any finish--just the nice ash grain. For $100 off, I'd have tried either color of the PBs were it not for my preference of natural ash.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If you can get your hands on the PB model, by all means buy it! That's a great deal for something that functions exactly like the SR500. I must say though, I've never seen a PB model in person anywhere.

5. acoustic58

acoustic58

Mar 18, 2015

Here ya go. Still on sale at Guitar Center Ibanez SR500PB 4-String Electric Bass Guitar | GuitarCenter They raised the price from 499 to 550 today

6. acoustic58

acoustic58

Mar 18, 2015
    Just checked Guitar Center. This SR500PB was selling for $499.00 yesterday. It is now selling for $549. $50.00 bucks less than the standard SR500 with a Mahogany body. I should have jumped on it...

7. Huh. How about that? I'm not in the market for one now, as I have the SR805AWT to replace its looks, and I play 5- and 6- stringers exclusively now.

8. I know this is an old thread, but I happened to luck onto one of these SR500PBs today in Blackberry Sunburst at a big box store for just under 4 bills for an open-box. I like this color a whole lot better than the dark brown. Of course, seeing as it is a satin flat, I'll still have to be very careful with it. But nice to know that it has the same guts as the SR500 for a whole lot less $$.

9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    The Ibanez SR 500 has been available to any Ibanez dealer for almost every model year since at least the early 90's. I still own my original 94' and 95' SR 500's. The model you speak of is not on the Ibanez site because they are only exclusive to Guitar Center and I think maybe Musicians Friend, who are owned by the same people. I had one that I bought new and loved it much better than the turn brown ones they make now, which in my opinion, is an abomination to the model. I actually wish they would make the GC and MF models standard across the boars because they look so much better the a turd brown bass.

10. I agree, Jay. I especially like the yellowish Poplar Burl SR500, but that seemed to be a GC/MF only product also. They can still be found, but they are the same $600 as the turd brown ones. I assume yours were painted? I wish the SR500s had a bit of polyurethane coating, but that would make them SR700s. :)

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Does it look like the same type of tinted varnish used on the mahogany SR500's? These are outstanding basses with a crappy finish. I'd like to get a mahogany SR500 used and strip the finish. Tru-Oil would hold up a lot better over time, and it's "repairable".

12. I suspect it is much the same. I'll know more when it gets here. I've seen where a couple of people here sanded down and refinished their SR500s with excellent results. But I don't know as I'd want to do that to a new one. I would, however be interested in any recommendations as to sealing and protecting this thin factory finish. s-l1600.

13. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    On my bass, the finish looked more like a very thin laminate. Here is a picture of it.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzUCaH8_RALHjkGkZtq8mB0zJuD2OcgZWEZrLtDGoFpvZePvMD.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTEkiosKaNrUhd4e7PWsZH0BRtnqI8QUb2YgkLNl-vMUUnYNBzcg.

Although my personal favorites are these two. The black one is my 94' SR 500 and the candy apple red one is my 95' SR 500.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoD1gLVKMm-YUIorYD-iOR-05ylCjWp690Lr6jAyG9HfseNEv-.
    fee3ced9.

14. Very nice collection, Jay. How did you convince your wife that you needed more than one bass? I said, "Well, Honey, you need more than one pair of shoes, right?" That's when the fight began. :)

15. I got the SR500 yesterday. Very nice bass. Had no problem doing a setup on it and there is, thankfully, no buzzing up or down the neck. My only disappointment was a few small dings on the back of the body, which shouldn't have been there for a bass described as "mint". But I got a good bass for $400 so I shouldn't complain. BTW, this particular model, according to Ibanez, is SR500-BYF, which (my guess) is probably "BlackberrY Fade". I don't know what the top is made of. Probably still mahogany. But she looks great and sounds great. On to practice my lessons...

16. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    This thread makes me want to spend money.

17. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I hear you there...

18. Chad Agler

Chad Agler

Oct 23, 2016
    I have a SR500PB that I'm selling. Ibanez SR500PB 2012 BrownBurst Bubinga

I didn't know all the history on it this model so this thread has been great. It's a great looking and sounding bass. Cuts through the mix nicely and has the nice Ibanez neck that makes it so much easier to play than most basses we've had.

My daughter has decided she wants to stick with acoustic guitar instead. So it's gotta go.