1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR500(?) with strange features... What is this bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Audix99, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    So I've been searching for a good used Ibanez SR500 locally and found this listing of one for $400 with a hard case.

But the thing is, this SR500 (as claimed by the listing) doesn't look anything like a typical Ibanez SR500.
    Here's the pic.
    9vZS0cgt5Ee0pseLaEacdA.

As far as I know, SR500 never came out with stacked knobs like this one, and the inside of the input jack hole is finished (coated??) with black, which is not the case of a typical SR500.

I know there were SR Prestige lines like SR1010 that had stacked knobs and finished input hole, BUT the Prestige line came with Monorail bridge, NOT the B20 bridge like the one in the pic.

Also, the finish doesn't look like Brown Mahogany. Rather, it looks more like a stained oiled finish.

I will go take a look at it tomorrow, but I'd like to be armed with more knowledge about this before I go and look.

So--- my question to those who are knowledgeable with Ibanez are:

1) Is this really a SR500 or a part bass with a SR500 neck with a different SR body? (unfortunately, the pic doesn't show the headstock)

2) Is the asking price ($400 with a case) reasonable for this particular bass?

Thanks guys!!! ;)

2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Looks like an older Prestige - but with no mono rail bridge...

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Welcome to the early to mid 90's SR500 basses. Probably the Japan model not made in the Korean Cort factory about the same time.

If it's reasonable it's a great bass. $400 isn't a great deal, but on par with what it is worth if it is a Japan model. If it's Korean you can pick these up on the Guitar Center used site for 250 or less.

4. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    Exactly! That's why I am confused because it was listed as SR500... :confused:

Thanks for the info!!!
    BTW, didn't all 4-string SR500s from that era come with P/J PUPS??? But this one has soapbar PUPs.
    I checked Ibanez catalogs from that era and saw that ALL 4 stringer SR500 came with P/J PUPs. :help:

Also, those SR500s around that time all had the input jack on the side, NOT on the front like this one...

Can you please confirm that the a version of 4-string SR500 in that era came with soapbar PUPs with input jack on front???

Thanks a bunch!!! ;)

5. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    So far, the ONLY SR series that had a body that was matching the one in the listing pic was SR1010 from 98-99.

This...

BUT, the fret inlay on the 24th fret is different from the listing pic. :confused:

Just what the heck is this bass???

6. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    I think the headstock will tell all.

7. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I'm guessing the inlay says "Prestige". If you look at the headstocks, only the SR5000MM has a different headstock. It's possible that either they changed the inlay on the SR1010SOL at some point to not be "Prestige", or the mockup was done wrong on that catalog picture and it never had the special inlay on the production model. Looks nice though!

8. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    The serial number will tell if made in Japan or Korea.
    Here's my 1991 MIJ SR1500 P/J EMG pups input jack in front
    Saw 1 recently on ebay for like 600

Attached Files:

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That's a late '90s SR1010, MIJ. Check ebay for their price on the used market .

Nope, no MIJ SR500 basses in the past , they were/are all MIK (and MII for the last few years).

10. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    So I am beginning to believe that either it is NOT a SR500, OR it is a part bass with SR1010 body with SR500 neck.

I mean, since the listing claims this as SR500, it is possible that it has a SR500 neck with that model name stamped on.

I am not sure if this actually is a SR1010 because the inlay on the 24th fret on the listing pic is different from the catalog pic.
    And I checked both 1998 and 1999 catalogs and they both had the same inlay (narrow rectangular inlay, NOT the oval one); so the chance of the mockup done wrong on that catalog picture is pretty slim...

Well, I guess I will have to see it tomorrow to confirm whether it is a SR1010 or a part bass.
    Thanks guys, for your valuable input!!! ;)