1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR505 noise troubleshooting (pics)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nandaiyo, Dec 23, 2011.

1. nandaiyo

nandaiyo

Feb 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    Bought my SR505 new (from sweetwater) around Apr '10. It's got the default passive Bart MK-1's. Not sure when it started exactly, but for the past year or so I've had bad noise when plugged into the small combo of our church worship band. The noise sounds like a hum/buzzing that increases dramatically when turning up the treble and disappears almost completely when it's is turned all the way down.

I recently got an Ampeg PF-500 and the noise is still there. I've tried different cables, new 9V and neither make a difference. I took a look at the wiring, added some electric tape on a few wires and also raised the pickup height, and after all that I noticed a dramatic change - the noise quieted enough so that I could turn the treble back to mid-level without hiss and buzzing. It sounds pretty good now. Not completely silent, but close. If I turn up the treble you can hear it faintly.

My questions are:

1) is there anything I can do to completely fix the noise short of visiting a luthier?
    2) Is that just the way MK-1's are?
    3) Is it possible to have a completely noise-free signal?

Thanks

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I owned a couple of sr505s, and they were pretty noise-free... although ANY active bass will get a little noisy if you crank the treble control - it's the nature of the beast...

Next - it's possible that something else in your signal chain is causing the noise - have you tried another bass with the same gear???

- georgestrings

3. nandaiyo

nandaiyo

Feb 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    Update: The buzzing only occurs when the bass is facing certain angles, like toward the amp, and goes away when I'm facing away. It's perfectly quiet then. I think it may be picking up some interference.

Thanks Georgestrings, haven't tried the other bass but will try it out in a few weeks.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Well, most actives will make a little noise if you put the bass right up to the amp - although I can't see it, I'm guessing that you might not even have an issue...

- georgestrings

5. LJFryk

LJFryk

Oct 3, 2012
    Sorry to revive an old thread

I've had similar problems with my Ibanez basses. SR506 and BTB676F both distort when I turn the bass up on my EQ. The pots don't make noise when I turn them, but they both distort when I play.

It's definitely the basses as I've used different amps, batteries, etc. How would I reduce this noise so I can still get the EQ I want?

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Don't know if the Barts are prone to it, but EMGs are pretty hot and turning up the Bass too far can overload the input. Really shouldn't have to turn up the Bass all the way anyhow, maybe turn the treble and mids down a little to keep the same balance, then turn the amp up a bit more?