1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez sr505 or spector rebop dlx 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xpunshx, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Xpunshx

Xpunshx

Jun 18, 2013
    As the subject says what would be the Best buy

The ibanez is brand new and the spector is only a few month out of the box.
    The spector is a 100 bucks more than the sr505

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    No prob at all with SR505 offering, especially if maple boarded,
    or even SR605, especially in the walnut flat finish

Matter is
    Spector ReBop is a true jem, believe me: a jewel of a bass:)

No distinguished Spector fan over here: it's only naked truth
    From fit and finish, to pickup and electronics, if everything's ok and in operatin' order (so, really hardly used) it's a steal!

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    I love Ibanez basses, but I would say that they are not for everyone.

Can you try them both out?-I would have to say you will always be able to pick up another SR505 but maybe you should jump on the Spector, could always sell it later and get a used Ibanez in the 300 range.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    The Spector is a much better deal, and higher quality instrument - well worth that price difference... I'm a fan of the sr505, and have owned a few of them - but those Spectors are a step up, for sure...

Another consideration is the physical differences - the Spector is 35" scale, and will definitely be heavier, whereas the sr505 is 34" scale, and one of the lightest 5ers on the market, with a thin, small neck...

- georgestrings

5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm an Ibanez lover, so I would say the SR 505 :D HOWEVER, the Rebop 5 isn't bad either.. What are you looking for (sound, playability) ?

6. Xpunshx

Xpunshx

Jun 18, 2013
    Im looking for play abillity becouse 5 years i broke my fret hand i a motorcycle crash and never regained my lefthand abillity 100%

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    In this very case, try as you will, but I start to think Ibanez to be better for you.

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Honestly? I've owned both at the same time. I sold the Ibanez & kept the Spector. I still have the Spector and won't sell it (unless it's to upgrade to a better Spector).

The ReBop KILLS the SR-5 series. The SR-5 is more comparable to a Legend (more likely a Performer).

Benefits of the Spector:

The B string is tighter & more responsive.
    It's prettier.
    More tonally versatile, IMO.
    Easily upgraded pickups/pre-amp
    Super comfortable neck, even though everyone says it's thicker than most basses. I measured mine & it was thinner than my MIM P-bass.

Downsides of the Spector:

Takes 5 minutes more to intonate than the SR-5 would.
    Weighs half a pound more than the SR-5 (at least mined did). The weight is very comfortable, though.
    You won't want to put it down. (This might be a benefit)

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That hasn't been my experience, although I didn't have nearly as much difficulty with Spector bridges as many claim to have - definitely much more that 5 minutes, though...

Also, I don't find Spector 5 string necks to be as comfortable or as easy to play as Ibanez sr Series 5er necks, but that's subjective...

- georgestrings

10. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    So true.

I've been playing an SR400 the last couple of years (Jazz before that) and got a Spector Rebop a couple of months ago and thought I'd made a mistake. The neck felt so much bigger than the Ibby's but it didn't take long for me to realize it's a little chunkier but SO comfortable that I think I now actually prefer it.

I'm also getting less fretting hand fatigue on the Spector (I have really long fingers). So it's bigger but it feels great.

11. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Spector, the Sr505 is one of the most ugly ones out there. Ibanez hit a solid hit with the 400 and 600 series but I just can't believe they are serious about the SR505. With that said I like Ibby basses as I have two discontinued SRA500 series.

12. It's not difficult to do, but it's not as simple as turning an intonation screw. You also have to be careful not to bump the other saddles. I can intonate my ReBop 5DLX in about 10 minutes. Just loosen slack the string you want to move the saddle for & then retune after adjusting.

Of course, Spector's now solved this with their newer USA line bridges.

13. Xpunshx

Xpunshx

Jun 18, 2013
    Im gonna go for the spector
    if i for some reson dont feel it it's much easyer to resell with little or no loss than the ibanez

14. THE DANiMAL

THE DANiMAL

Nov 22, 2007
    Bartlett, IL
    Good call on the ReBop. I've owned almost every model of soundgear, including the 505 and the ReBop makes it feel and sound like a toy.

15. Sounds like personal prefs to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1) The only thing that makes a B string "tighter" is longer scale or the string itself, and the SR has a 34" scale wheras the Spector is 35" so you are correct.
    2) Not with a 2band EQ vs the SR's 3band active EQ plus the mid freq switch IMO.
    3) The Spector's neck is a little wider, and thicker.

Lets hope he gets the one that suits him the best. :bassist:

16. blaxquid

blaxquid

Jul 18, 2013
    I like my 505 for fast fingerstyle work (meeeeeetaaal)... For anything else though, I prefer a wider string spacing.

The bart mk1 are great and very versatile but the preamp is quite 'meh' (noisy and uninspiring).

17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Not true.

The equivalent of a Performer would be a SR37X.

Legends are nice basses, but they're inferior to Ibbys SR50X. I sold mine the day I got my first SR500 - the difference was HUGE in terms of tone & playability.

A Rebop is around these parts way over 1K Euros. More than the price of a Premium SR - and IMO there's no bass to top their price/value ratio - not even the Prestige basses.

A Rebop for such a low price would be a great deal indeed, but as nice as it may be, it doesn't beat the playability of an Ibanez SR - no other bass can.

18. 1) Design plays a big part, too. The ReBop's break angle is stronger than the SR-5. That plays a big part in how tight a string feels.
    2) Just because you have more knobs doesn't make you more tonally diverse. ;) Play with one & you'll understand what I mean.
    3) So? That doesn't make it less comfortable.

I agree on him choosing what he prefers, though.

That is utter horse-c__p. Every Legend I've played has been better built, better playing, and better looking than ANY SR series (Short of the prestige line) I've ever picked up. Every SR-5 I've played had a half-assed B string. Floppy, non-responsive and no sustain.

I'm not even going to comment on the ReBop being worse than an SR. Your head's so far in the ground you're probably looking up girls' skirts in Australia, dude...

Also, going price-wise, the Performer is right in line with the SR-5, and the Legend is on par with the SR-7.

19. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007

Personal attacks aside... so your whole argument is based on price? Lol :) And you got even that wrong :)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=spector&oa=pra
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=ibanez+sr&oa=pra

Regarding Ibanez: you either have no idea what you're talking about, or you had incredibly bad luck picking only SR lemmons - which I seriously doubt.

A SR bass having no sustain? Especially from 50X up? Please drop it :) Every SR owner knows how silly that statement is :)

Try to actually understand what you're reading, ok? I was talking about playability. SRs are notorious for how comfortable they feel. The only drawback may be the narrower string spacing for slappers, but other than that, the neck is as comfy as a bass neck can be and the overall design makes the bass effortlessly to play for extended periods of time.

In terms of sound, I maintain my statement: go play a Premium Ibanez. Then we can talk.

20. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Looking at the fact you broke your hand, the SR 505 will do it for you. Very thin and slim neck profile.