Ibanez SR505 soundgear sounds like a blown speaker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nubnite, May 9, 2018.

1. Nubnite

Nubnite

May 9, 2018
    Bass was gifted to me 9 months ago. And a few weeks ago went through rehearsal just fine but noticed that I couldn't hear it while playing during church service. I got busy and didn't have time to practice and didn't play a couple Sundays. So I didn't realize something was wrong and I completely forgot it had happened.

The point is finally was able to attend practice and after some time couldn't hear myself again. Mid song thought oh maybe battery died so switched it and proceeded to play and still nothing. Lead realized I was not playing so he stopped to see what was going on. Told him I had no sound and hit a string and the sound it made was like a blown speaker. Seeing as I'm on the mixer and everyone else is on it sounding just fine it can't be that.

Grabbed my amp and plugged into it. Same ugly blown out speaker sound. But to make sure grabbed my back up (passive bass) and my amp sounded fine. After practice plugged my Ibanez in and it worked just fine. For a few minutes then again same sound. I've tried switching cables as well but no good.

Took it to guitar center. Told the teck the story. He said weird and plugged it in and proceeded to play. Sounded fine of course. Opened it up and found that a knob was lose and tightened it and said highly doubt that will fix it but unless you can get it to consistently make it sound like that can't do anything.

So if anyone has any idea what could possibly be wrong please do tell. And sorry for the long story. Also I have the 36 month coverage so don't know why he wouldn't take it.

Thank you.

2. That sounds is typical of a dying battery but since you checked that I would guess it could be a bad contact between the battery and the pre. Not sure really, but i would start from there

David A. Davis and murphy like this.
  3. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Did you get this sorted out? Just curious.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022