Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez sr505 vs ESP LTD F-255 vs Rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Catalin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. In your opinion, which is the best bass for metal:
    - ESP LTD F-255
    - Ibanez sr505
    or
    - Warwick Rockbass Fortress
    All the basses have the same prices-approximate

I have a friend(he is not a musician) in Germany- he will buy for me. In my country(Romania) there are no authorised dealers, for this reason i cannot test these basses. This is one of the reasons that i ask you for your opinion.
    Tnks!

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_f.htm
    http://www.warwickrockbass.com/fortress.htm
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR505

2. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i like the SR505. that's just me, tho' - i have small hands. the neck is REALLY narrow, so keep that in mind.

3. I'm going to second the Ibanez SR505 bass. I've played the 500, 505, and the 506, and all three of them felt awesome in my hands. (and why wouldn't they?) Great tone with the Bartolini pickups and preamp, although not the best Bartoloini has to offer. The hardware (ie. bridge, tuners, anmd knobs) are very sturdy, and don't wear easily AFAIK. The neck felt awesome, probably the combo of wenge and bubinga. I kind of wish the bass had a wenge fingerboard instead of the rosewood one, but then that would just drive the price up. Very good balance both standing and sitting, I don't get tired at all when playing this bass, unless it's the 6, and that's just because my fretting hand tends to cramp up from time to time.

Honetsly, I think Ibanez is one of the best mass-produced brands out there today, every single Ibanez I have played has had awesome fit and finish, and even better playability, even out of the box every now and then!

About the other two, well I know a fellow member here on TB had a problem with his ESP F series bass.... His bridge crapped out on him, which sucks. The RockBasses tend to get mixed reviews, but for the most part they seem to be good basses. Just not a Warwick by any means IMO.

-ryan-

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Having played both the Ibanez and the ESP, I would go with the ESP for 2 different reasons...

1) the ESP has EMG Pickups standard

2) the ESP is Neck Through which helps sustain.

So, my personal opinion would be to go for the ESP. I have no opinion on the Warwick, as I haven't played one.

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i'd also add that as far as the rockbass, it really depends on why this bass is one of your choices. if you've played one, and liked the sound and feel, then YEAH!
    however, if you're hoping for something that will pass for a warwick....hmm, maybe not.

6. Tnks for the replys

7. I woudn't go ESP due to it's agathis bodu..
    lows are weak and muddy, highs are not brilliant

I'd go for Ibanez

8. Maldoror

Maldoror

Oct 8, 2005
    I once owned an ESP F-205 and didn't like it much. The bridge was troublesome, the preamp always sounded terrible (no mids & brittle highs) and the B-string was muddy. The F-255, with its cheap agathis body, is even worse.
    I'd go with the Ibanez if I were you...

9. Do you think that having active picks an active EQ-2band is an important advantage for Warwick Rockbass? Ibanez RS505 have passive pickups but active EQ-3 band.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't have this problem with mine...I have an F 255, and the sound is pretty versatile. I can rumble the rafters or play mild leads, and I keep all my EQ flat until I need a boost somewhere. I can't turn up the bass, treble, or mid control all the way, otherwise it's oversaturated.

I also have an Ibanez SR885, and I get a great tone out of that as well...the Vari Mid helps. But, I still prefer the sound out of my ESP to the Ibby.

11. Tough choice

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You shouldn't avoid a bass because it is made of Agathis. Agathis is similar to Alder and Popular in properties and when used in an instrument can sound very good. Agathis gets used by a lot of manufacturers in Asia because it is readily available there which is pretty much the same reason Alder gets used here. The stigma comes from the fact that many cheap imports use Agathis but that cheap feeling is more from the sum of the parts than just the body wood. Those basses generally have shoddy pickups, fretwork and various other short comings as a result of low cost mass production. If you look at some of the real cheap entry level basses made from other woods you fill find the same problems.

To answer Catalin's question, I would probably go Ibanez myself as I have tried the Rockbass and found it wanting. I have no comment on the ESP as I have never played one, though I do think they look nice but that doesn't count here :D

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Those are some excellent points, Christle. Agathis isn't so bad. I have a Basswood bass. Yes, BASSWOOD! It resonates well and sounds good to me. Anyway, I would recommend the ESP. IMO, they make the best instruments for the money anywhere. I have two of them and love them both. I have yet to be impressed with any Ibanez or Rockbass, though. Also, have you considered ESP's B Series? They have the same materials and workmanship, they just don't look so "metal". I know metal is what you're into, but you may get into blues or jazz someday and you might want a little more understated instrument. Just a thought. You have a tough descision to make. Good luck.:bassist:

14. Yes..... tough decision..... :)

15. I love the SR series, and I'll second that. I'm not sure what the prices are, or what your range is, but you might want to have a look at the BTB405 and 455's. I like their electronics, and they look a bit more 'metal' but can pass for a classy bass any day.

On another note, I think Ibanez's stock electronics are second to none. I can't think of an Ibanez that I didn't like because of the electronics. Keep that in mind...

I would personally avoid the 'wick, but that's just me. I generally don't like playing baseball bats with a piece of wood shaped like genitailia attached.

ESP's higher end and custom stuff is really good, but I think their lower end production stuff lacks a lot of quality control.

16. SethO

SethO

Jan 18, 2006
    i have recently bought an sr505 and i am pretty pleased with its performance so far. I play in a rock band with metal influences and it does its job very well through my Peavey stack. Got compliments from Warwick and MM players. Its very light and spins around my body very well :D .

P.S. I am new here and this is my first post. Been a guitar player for many years, but now I have seen the light and switched to bass to play for my band. My *first bass was a Ric that i borrowed from my friend. Ibanez is better for what I play. Ibanez better overall? nah.

17. Welcome to the forum :bassist:

You brought up another brand: Music Man. There seems to be a metal following of that, possibly because of the growl, playability, or good tone. To topic poster: check out some OLP's or SUB Sterlings the next time you get a chance.

18. ibanez, IMO the best production basses that there is.

lowsound

19. Tnks guys !!