1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR505 vs Spector Legend 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kasper Knudsen, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kasper Knudsen

Kasper Knudsen

Oct 19, 2015
    I've narrowed my choices for my next bass down to two.

I'm going to buy a new bass this week, but I need some convincing on whether the Spector is a better choice.

I've already tried the SR at a guitar store and loved it, but I've been told the Spector is better (I've never tried a Spector so I can't say). I really liked the sleek and fast neck on the Ibanez, as I usually play fast bass lines (e.g. Lamb of God).

Also, I live in Denmark so I can't buy a Spector here - I'll have to buy it from abroad.

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    First, which Spector Legend? Classic? Custom? Neck Thru?

Well, in any case, I have lots of experience with both. Both have excellent workmanship in their price range. Both are very versatile. The Ibanez neck is slimmer, but not more comfortable, if that makes sense. Ibanez is notorious for fretboard shrinkage in differing environments, resulting in fret-sprout. Never saw that with my Spector. I also never needed to adjust the truss on my Spector, where the Ibanez needed periodic adjustments. I consider the hardware on the Spector to be superior also. If you replace the stock pickups with EMG's, it does and incredible job of sounding like a "real" Spector; aggressive, mean, powerful. The Ibanez sounds modern and bright.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Why on earth would you ever consider an instrument that you've never played or even seen IRL before, over one that you've tried and already like? You can't even buy a Spector in your COUNTRY, you say.

That's downright crazy talk, man. Straight bananas.

4. Kasper Knudsen

Kasper Knudsen

Oct 19, 2015

5. Kasper Knudsen

Kasper Knudsen

Oct 19, 2015
    I've been told that I wouldn't be dissapointed if I bought a Spector, and that they are better than Ibanez

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Last night I played both an Ibanez SR1200 which I'm trying out for a few days, and a Spector Legend Classic which I picked up in a local trade. These are both 4-strings, but I think the comparison is still applicable.

Neck:
    - The SR's neck is TINY. I mean, it's narrow, it's shallow, it's everything lots of players want... or think they want. I'm finding it a bit *too* tiny. Some songs I like to play do benefit from the slightly narrower string spacing though.
    - The Spector's neck is quite comfortable. I'd say it's kind of like a P neck shape in a J neck size, if that makes sense. Glossy though, as opposed to the SR's natural finish.

Tone:
    - SR's got more available tones through its 3-band EQ (again this is a 1200e, so a higher range SR and I am not sure what the 505 has) than the Spector's 2-band, but fundamentally I like the Spector's sound more. I'm not in love with either sound though; I like passive better.

Overall, I liked PLAYING the Spector better, but I liked HOLDING the SR better (it weighs 1.5lbs less and I'm looking for a lighter-weight bass these days)

You've got two decent choices for metal there; maybe even look in local ads to see if somebody has a Spector you could check out if you're that curious.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm an huge Spector fan, and don't really care for Ibanez, but I don't know if you can say that ALL Spectors are better than ALL Ibanez basses. It would depend on how much you're spending on either. A low-end Legend is not going to be better than a high-end SDGR with Nordstrand electronics. But, all things being equal, I feel like you do get more for your money from Spectors. There are guys who tour the world with Legend basses, which isn't something you can probably say about the average Ibanez models you'd find at a musical instrument shop.

The Legends are great basses for the money and I prefer their electronics to the Bartolini mk1 system in some Ibanez. However, the Nordstrand pickups that Ibby is using are very nice. Spector necks tend to be on the thick but comfortable side, so if you prefer skinny necks, you might lean towards Ibanez. Especially since you can play them and decide from first-hand experience whether or not you like them. Also, the longer scale of Spectors is an issue for some folks. If you're looking at an Ibanez with Nordstrands that you have played and you like the way it feels and plays, it's a pretty safe buy IMO.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of buying a Spector. But, use appropriate caution about an instrument you aren't able to play in person.

superheavyfunk likes this.