1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR505, Warwick Rockbass Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doley50, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

I am in the market for a new bass and I have narrowed it down to two, well actually 3:

The Ibanez SR505

The Warwick Rock Bass Corvette Basic

The Warwick Rock Bass Corvette $$

I have only had the chance to play the Ibanez, I am thinking of ordering one of the Warwicks to see how I like it.

The only way I can look at it now is the Ibanez is middle of the road for Ibanez,while the Rockbass is Warwicks entry level model. that really tells me nothing, I have read a lot of good things about both, I have not played the Warwick
    so I was thinking of ordering it and see how I like it, the only problem I have with the Warwicks are the color choices ( I know! ) but the probable look a lot better in person. Maybe a custom color?

What are you thoughts about the three basses?

Thanks

John

2. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Ibanez SR605. Boutique sound at awesome price.

3. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Having owned at least one of each of those three basses at one time, and a few "real" Warwick Corvettes. I'd say if you liked the sound and feel of the Ibanez SR505, go with that one. I had some trouble with the two rock basses I owned. They are nice basses but they do not have that special "whatever-it-is" that makes Warwick Corvettes such great basses.

4. Love my SR500, it is a very well playing bass and looks beautiful

5. i have an SR505...'tis a GREAT instrument, especially so when it's reasonable price is considered.

6. +1. My second bass was a SR505 and I've had a plethora of SR's as well as Warwicks since then. I sold that one a long time ago and have ended up selling everything else except for a SR755 and a Squier VM Jazz. If you dig the Ibanez, rock it. I considered getting a Rockbass, but the ones that I've played did exactly as Eddie stated, just felt like they lacked something that the Corvette's from my previous arsenal had.

7. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    A rule of thumb, anything Warwick, smokes anything Ibanez.

8. I have to disagree with almost everyone on here. Those NEW Rockbasses kick the snot out of the old ones! They're definitely on par, if not better, than the SR505...and the B string is MUCH better. :) Go with the double jazz pickups!

9. I had an older rock bass Corvette, and was not a big fan of it at all.It just didnt have any of the mojo that the higher end models have. It was not like a real Warwick. I cannot speak for the newer rock bass models, but I'd go with what you can try in person over risking buying something you can't try first.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The Ibanez. Local store had a newer rockbass corvette and its neck just didnt seem as nicely made as the Ibanez sr300 I also looked at.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    No doubt about it

Same price, not the same overall quality

Alder body maple neck (ekanga veneers) and dual (MEC) jazzy pickups, like true basses from good ol'days

Retainin' growl and attack no Bart mk1/Ibby's mahogany body can face

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    LOL :)

+1 for SR 505.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Hardly - I've seen plenty of Performers that were absolute junk...

- georgestrings

14. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Performers aren't they actually from Spector, not Warwick, or is it just me George?

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    No, you're right - I confused them for a moment... I was actually thinking of those cheaper Rockbass models, actually - although there really wasn't alot of difference between the two, IMO...

- georgestrings

16. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    I wish I had the option to play one of the Rockbasses , but from your comments Iam going to get the SR505, I been playing my American Standard Jazz bass for the last 15+ years and I just love that bass. But I am looking for a second bass that has that modern sound and feel and it seems that the 505 is best suited for that. I purchased a used SR405 and while I did like that bass there were problems with the electronic, so I returned it. Now I am buying new, but I can believe that think does not come with a case! ***! I remember when the only instruments that did not come with cases were the entry level instruments, like the 100 off brands!

Thanks for your input!

17. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I'd really wait until you can play both.. check out some YouTube demos of each maybe.

18. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I've owned both. If you'e looking for modern then the 505 is your bass. They are comparable aside from that.

19. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But as stated right after your post, try to find a few reliable (look at the rig or combo or what) youtube test/review before goin' for Sr505 just because is commonly available. Nu RockBass are no way close to the old ones: they're very very good and share many components with the real thing.

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    +1 on the new rockbass