1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR506: bought a Mono M80, should I switch to Vertigo?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by juggahnaught, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

1. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Title pretty much says it all, but I own a six-string bass (Ibanez SR506, 1994) and I was getting tired of lugging my SKB flight case around to practice. I splurged on a Mono M80 bass gig bag, but I can't help feeling a little unimpressed - the SR has a small body and I feel as though the bag is just too big. I'm also a little skeptical about the velcro neck strap on their headlock device.

I paid nearly full price for this at my local Guitar Center, but I'm considering refunding the money (I've had it for a day) and switching to a Vertigo. It's about $30 more, but I've already spent the bulk of the money on the M80, and I really think the top-loading and self-standing features of the Vertigo will be a boon at our practice space.

Will the Vertigo fit a somewhat narrow six-string Ibanez? (If anyone has pictures, they'd be appreciated!) If it does, is the clearance smaller in the bag? My bass was a pawn shop bass but I don't really want it bumping around too much if I can help it.

2. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I own M80 Double Electric Bass, M80 Electric, and M80 Vertigo. I don't think M80 Electric internal is too big of a room when I fit my 6 string SR series body inside and there's nothing to worry about the velcro neck strap as it'll secure the neck just fine with lots and lots of open-close routines. Plus, it has that clear windowed pocket for storing small items like picks.

But, since you seems to have preferred the M80 Vertigo more, then get one. It's a nice gigbag for its own reasons you've mentioned. The headlock neck suspension bottom part might not be wide enough to hold a 6 string bass neck, but the top part will secure the wide neck when both are closed together. Refer to the following post:
    Mono Gig Bag - Headlock Not Wide Enough For Six String Bass

4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The headlock in the Vertigo is a little less accommodating than the velcro strap system in the M80. Check with Mono customer service to find out whether your bass will fit.

Both bags are made to accommodate Fender-type basses, which means you will have the same issues with the Vertigo as the M80 with a small-bodied bass like your SR, although they might not be as visible. Your bass will still be well protected, though.

I quite agree that the top-loading design is convenient in a tight practice- or gigging space. There are other differences - storage space is much more intelligently laid out in the M80, albeit a little smaller. The Vertigo only has one big pocket, with a smaller mesh pocket inside. It wins on cubic inches, but is a little basic. The boot on the Vertigo is nice, but doesn’t make as much difference as you might expect. And you can’t tuck away the straps like on the M80. The M80 is also a slightly more comfortable carry, if that means anything to you.

In my opinion, both are excellent bags, and both will serve you well, provided your bass fits. The rest is down to personal taste. I have one of each, and therefore have the best of both worlds. :)