1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR506 Six String Bass Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3dec3, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    Is the body of this bass one solid piece of wood? The pictures I see look like it is but I'm not sure.

Does anybody know how close the intonation is on this bass is when it's purchased?

On Ibanez.com I see that the neck thickness is 19.5mm at the 1st fret and 21.5 at the 12th fret but I see different numbers for it on other websites. Does anyone know what the actual numbers are?

Thanks in advance.

2. 1) It's a bolt-on.

2) Bit of a crap shoot, as with any mass produced instrument that may or may not be set up by the end retailer of course. Earlier editions were said to be a bit inconsistent for setup.

3) I own a 2005 version, and comparing it to the newer models my opinion is that the neck thickness has been reduced slightly (perhaps from the 21.5mm @ 1st fret stated on some sites to Ibanez' currently stated 19.5mm), but not the width.

3. Not to hijack your thread, 3dec3, but I have an SR506 question myself and I'd rather not post a completely new thread and annoy everyone.

I've noticed that on the Ibanez website the new SR506's have a mid frequency switch. I haven't been able to find anything but the old mid switch-less SR506's for purchase. Are those not out yet to the public? They're not on M/F AFAIK.

4. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    That's totally fine. I'd like to know as much as possible about this bass anyway. Do you know how much the bass has changed year to year?

5. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    They are on there, they just have not changed the information

6. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    I realize that the neck is bolt-on. I was wondering about whether the body wood is one solid piece.

I plan to intonate the bass. The bass I have right now intonates great except for the B string. I can't set the saddle on the B string far enough back to get it perfectly intonated.

What is the string spacing?

Ibanez.com says that the body is light. How well is the bass balanced?

7. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mines an 07, it has the Bart Mk-ii I think preamp and pups...I know on that, the midrange knob is super responsive, and u get can get alot of variations out of it. Don't know about the switch, based on mine I don't see why it'd be necessary.

8. The newest addition to the 506 is that mid switch I was talking about. I haven't used it or seen it anywhere yet, but AFAIK that's the newest addition. People have been buying this bass for quite a while because it's a fantastic bargain for a 6 string, so I can't imagine anything but good has come from it. I'd imagine it hasn't changed much from year to year, but I'll let someone who has more knowledge of Ibanez comment on that.

9. Sorry, 3dec3, I misread your question. The body appears to be solid with a string spacing of 16.5mm. It's 'light', balances well playing while standing, but tends to dive when seated.
    This may not be the case with newer models, however...there's a definite difference in necks from my model year to the current.

I had issues with the low B, also - It took a bit of work and IMO it's still not 100% 'there'.

10. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    The picture on Ibanez.com shows the mid frequency switch. I do agree it looks like a good deal.

11. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    A completely solid body is so fricken awesome. String spacing looks standard which is what I want. Are you saying that the B string on the bass won't intonate?

12. I didn't care for the sustain of the low B, which died off rather quickly. It took a lot of subtle adjustments before the notes below the 7th fret began to sound pleasing - the intonation was less of an issue to do with that than the relationship between the truss rods.
    In your case, you might consider going to a slightly shorter tension spring for the B if you can't get the barrel to retract further.

13. 3dec3

3dec3

Jan 23, 2010
    You could buy a harder nut to improve sustain. The bass I have right now sounds really good until the 13th fret.

What is a tension spring? Is it the spring that is found where the saddles move? So this bass has more than one truss rod? Is a barrel the same thing as a saddle?