1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_man86, May 13, 2006.

1. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I finally took the plunge and bought a six string, I picked up an Ibanez SR506. Before anyone scoffs at my choice, let me say right off the bat that being an happily married father of two, I cannot spend $4000 on some boutique bass. That being said, the SR506 is a really nice little bass and I can finally see where you extended range folks are coming from; I have to admit that having that little C string gives it a really nice added dimension. I must extend my sincere apologies at all of you, you were right, I was wrong.

To all of you that think that it's good sport to bash on Ibanez, please try a few before you chime in. To all of you on a budget like myself, I highly recommend this bass. It looks good, sounds good, plays good, and it's affordable.;)

2. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Awesome another Ibanez fan! Welcome to the club, lol. As you might infer from my name, I am also a fan of Ibanez. My first bass, 2 1/2 years ago was an Ibanez Srx300, a 4 stringer. I still have that as well as an Ibanez btb 405, a 5'er. Gotta say for the price I am amazed. I have tried out others and even played around on my bass instructor's 3200 dollar custom bass and still love the ones I've got. Though I'm not quite the same as you in being a father and all, I'm 20 years old and go to college full time and work part time so yeah I can totally relate. Enjoy your new baby!

David.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've had my 506 about 10 months now. I bought it so I could see if I would like a 6er. I didn't want to spend too much to find that out. The 506 was a great choice. I love the tone and playability at such an affordable price. I have no regrets making the purchase at all. It has allowed me to find out that I like 6ers more than the 4 bangers I played off and on for 25 years prior to that. :)

Have fun!! :bassist:

4. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ibanez really does make good stuff. Its a bargain for what your getting. A great playing 6er with bartolini pickups. What else do ya need.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I find that the SR506 is actually quite well recieved among bassists here. I know for one thing, I believe it to be one of the best sixers out there and it's certainly on my GAS list.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanezs are friggin sweet, dude. i used to have a SRX705 that i really liked, and kinda miss now. i really wanna go to GC and visit it. maybe noone will ever buy it, and when i have some money i can buy it back myself :) .

7. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    The 506 is a great bass! (see sig) :)

And I agree with the added C. It gives you a lot more room to move around with. If (and WHEN) I'll buy a five stringer, I might just string it with a high C instead of a low B.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    506's are awesome! They sound and play really well, and I've enver been less than very impressed with them!

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Why scoff? The SR506 is one of the best, if not *the* best 6-string bass you can get for under $800.

10. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    it was my second bass...i went right form 4 to 6 and i have no regrets...the best 6 i have ever played...not to thick or thin...extremely fast neck and it looks nice too...lots of versatility, nice sounding B....you can't go wrong with it, nice purchase

11. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Guys, I played that 506 with my band yesterday to rave reviews. All the guys commented on its tonal spectrum; we play everything from Ozzy to traditional blues and all points between and the 506 sounded great on every song we played.

I slap it, pop it, do finger style funk, use it with a pick; it responds extremely well every time. In 33 years of playing I can honestly say that the 506 is one of best basses I have ever played.:D

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

In my 3 years of playing I can say the 506 is one of the best I've ever played. I love mine to death.

I've played basses that have retail prices of up to 4-5 grand, and while those were very nice, they had a hard time speaking to me quite as well as my 506. It has great feel (amazing neck), great woods (bubinga + wenge + mahagony), great pickups (Bartolini's), and an amazing everything. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

And just as a testament to how versatile it is, your bands traditional blues and my metal/speed kills type playing and attutude and we're both happy!

13. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    i own one too.
    it is a really amazing bass.

when i compare it with my 2000 € lefay, i always have to notice that these 600 € i spend for the ibanez where very well invested money.

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I used to have a 506 from the original early 90's series. Maple body, 3-piece maple neck, wenge fingerboard; Ibanez pickups and preamp.

Hated the pickups, hated the preamp, hated that the piece of wenge they used for the fingerboard had a nice, tight, perfectly vertical grain that twisted into a wide, horizontal grain at the high frets. Might have looked good as part of a top, but not a fingerboard--dead spots everywhere.
    Still, it was one of the nicest-playing basses I've seen. This new one looks soooo much better than my 506...hmm.....:hyper:

15. mmm Ibanez

16. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Nice!
    I was gassin for the 506 for awhile, but not quite ready to take the plunge to a 6er.

They are sweet basses for the cash. Nice woods, bart pups, good craftsmanship. Good buy all around

17. PaulMack

PaulMack

Apr 29, 2006
    I had one that I wish I'd kept. It wasabout 2 years old before the newest "brown" color. The finish was really transparent and I could tell that there was a good looking piece o' wood underneath the finish. I sanded the entire front of the bass and gave it a faux top. Looked great!
    Installed the Bart NTMB A/P electronics and the bass just kills. Most comfortable 6'er I've played and the new electronics did wonders for a bass that already sounded good.
    Very good choice even if your pockets are deep.

18. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    +1 for these. I use one as my full time bass. Like PaulMack, the electronics on mine (pre-506) were just bad. Put in a NTMB, much better. I'm really thinking about a Noll though.
    The pickups still stink, they are not the Barts. I've ordered Rough Crystals to go in there. The finish was OK, so I rubbed out the finish using 0000 steel wool on everything followed by a couple of coats of Watcos. Much better.
    Oh yeah, defretted the beast. Got really tired of the not so good fret job.
    It really sings now.
    John

19. Xanadu-06

Xanadu-06

May 14, 2006
    I bought one yesterday:hyper:

20. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Ibanez is making some excellent, consistently produced instruments these days. Every time I pick one up, I feel like I could play with it that night and feel totally comfortable. The SR506 is no exception at all. Absolutely a good value.