1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, May 10, 2011.

1. What do you guys think about a Ibanez SR600 ? good, bad, ugly ?

2. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    I don't know about the 600 but I had a SR535 for a bit that was a nice bass. I think Ibanez makes a good bass for the money but I will NEVER again buy a bass because it is certain brand or model. I have to play them first and only if they have the right feel and tone (for me), then will I buy them, regardless of make, model, or country of origin. It's gotta be magic in your hands and to your ears to be the right one.:)

3. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello,

I have a SR600 and love it. I have owned a lot of different basses. Lakland, Warwick, Musicman, Yamaha, Fender and I keep coming back to Ibanez. The stock pickups and pre are really nice on the new 600's. I have recently upgraded the stock Bart pups and pre with the USA made Barts and this bass has transformed into a monster of a bass. The tones that I get coupled with the playability of the neck = Love for me.

Shaun

4. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    The 600 in Natural Flat looks killer...reminds me of the 1000E prestige's that were around a few years ago, all it needs is the black chrome hardware and monorail bridge lol. :bassist:

5. I had one for a couple of weeks. Felt like a toy. Pickups were very generic and the finish was very thin. Had several major dead spots. Wasn't impressed at all. I had the natural finish one. Nice looking bass, but that's about it.

6. any more ?

7. The SR500 sounds better, IMO. The only real difference between them is the body wood. Mahogany vs Ash.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Soundgears are nice. I think some of their lower priced ones are better sound wise though.

9. I have to disagree. The 400 and 500 series sound much better than the 300s. But again, that's just my opinion.

10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    IMHO the SR50X's are sort of the standard by which other basses (at least the more modern-oriented ones) in their price range should be judged. Fantastic instruments for what they cost.

Personally, I'd go for the 500, if only because I dislike the look of natural finish ash. :D

11. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I have an SR5005 and i love it, the neck just begs to be played and it doesn't sound bad at all. I believe the difference between the 500 and 600 series is just the wood so if im right you are definitely going to love it.. but again thats just my opinion

12. My sig says it all.
    :D

13. I have an SR700, the only real difference is the body wood, mine's mahogany. It is my go to bass. Plays like a dream and sounds great. Can't beat the SR's for the money.

ODDBALL, did that pick-up swap even out the tone/volume across the strings? Any audio clips?

14. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    People who don't like light-weight or thin-necked basses always say "it felt like a toy" and that's kind of a dismissive, half-critique that doesn't communicate much in the way of useful information and sounds nasty at the same time. It's overused, I think. I agree that the pickups and onboard EQ aren't as vibrant as they should be so I'd recommend an upgrade to MIA Barts and maybe a new preamp but the thin neck and light weight body are actually preferred by some players.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've played a couple of sr600s, and really liked them - played great, sounded really good - with alot of tonal options - and very comfortable... I've owned an sr405, 505, 535, 655PB, and currently own another sr505, an sr905, and an sr3005 SOL Prestige - besides a few others I'm probably forgetting...

If you like it, go for it - they're great instruments for the money, and especially on the used market...

- georgestrings

16. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Agreed. My SR645 and SR690 are great basses; not so heavy and clunky as their Fender counterparts, and with a wide range of possible sounds. In fact, I think the Bart-like pickups on my 645 are the best sounding pickups on any of my basses.

Incidentally, if the preamp has its own "sound" when set flat, it's defective - or maybe matched with the wrong set of pickups / bass amp. I have bypassed the electronics on several of my SRs and unless you change the EQ setting, they're pretty much inaudible.

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The SR300, SR400, SR500 series are bolt on necks. (SR600, SR700 series are neck through).

Use the first number following SR as the indicator, i.e., SR5 or SR6, etc.

18. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Actually, the 60X and 70X basses are bolt on as well.

19. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Haven't played the SR600, but go try it out! I bet you will be surprised by its quality. I love my SR505 personally, don't mind the preamp or the pickups at all, very comfy neck even for a 4 string player like myself.

Though, I have to say, my model is from the older, korean manufacturing run, and I think it has a chunkier, thicker neck than the new indonesian models, which is unfortunate. Additionally I wish I had the mid-boost switch and the less bridge-centric pickup positioning of the new indonesian models.

Even so, it was a worthy $400 that I'm enjoying tremendously :) Definitely changed my opinion of ibanez as a whole. Would not hesitate to try their higher priced models.

20. If you look on Ibanez' website, you'll see that all of the non-prestige, non-premium SRs (in otherwords, the 700s and everything below) are bolt-on.