1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR605 vs Rockbass Fortress 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

I have about 1K coming my way and would like to purchase a new bass. I have been leaning toward the SR605 or Fortress 5. I have owned the SR600, and it was a great bass. I have not been able to test out the 605. But I have tested similar models. I have been able to test out the Rockbass Fortress 5, but the older model. Both basses are great, I just need help choosing. I prefer a new bass.

With most Ibanez's you know what you are getting. Nice construction, ok pickups & pre, light weight overall a nice bass for the price. Now I am not sure with the Rockbass. I have done searches on TB and the web and probably have read everything I can on both. I should say I own a Jazz & PBass already and I am looking for something with a different tone. I really liked the Rickbass's tone compared to the Ibanez's plan sound. I know I should go with my gut and my gut says Fortress but it is a unknown bet. Like I said you know what you are getting with an Ibanez.

What do you think?

Thanks

Shaun

2. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    1k will get you a really nice used German Warwick.
    However if you are strongly settled on one of those models, I would just get an SR505 for around 500$ and save the rest. The only difference between it and SR60x is wood and that is perhaps 5% of difference that can easily be dialed in with the onboard preamp.

3. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I would prefer to get new. Also I am not a big fan of the looks of the SR505.

Shaun

4. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Gotta agree with you there, that ash looks much prettier, especially with that grain. Black hardware doesn't hurt either. :)
    Well then, to give you a better answer - I'd go with Warwick. I am a proud Ibanez owner but those new Rockbases seem to be exceptionally well built too. And I've been lusting for a nice Warwick even since I started playing.
    Just make sure to get one of those newer models with the two-piece bridge.

Just my opinion, of course.

5. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I was going to go after the new Rockbass. I talked to a rep and I can purchase the black hardware for $100. I just went over to the store again for lunch to try out the Warwick again. It is well built and a little on the heavy side, just like I like.

Shaun

6. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I was going to say go for the 605...because it's light....but, you like heavy - ok. I have a SR605 - great bass for the bread, but a little bit too narrow, so I turned it into a Gary Willis! That is - fretless with the Jaco finish on the board - perfect, since I don't slap on a fretless anyway. It was workable though, and if I didn't already have some other cool 5stringers, I'd have a pair of 605s - fretted and fretless.

7. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    You can find used Warwicks for under a grand. I bought a real nice German fortress hereon the classifieds. It is easily my favorite bass. I also own aa Ibanez SRT805 that has been on every gig with me the last year and a half. I love it too, but If I had to chose which one to keep, it's not even close the Warwick ain't going anywhere. Another advantage is that if you buy a used German Warwick you should be buying at a price where you won't lose any money on it later. Ibanez's are unfortunately notorious for not holding their money if you buy new. Shame too, mines a great bass.

8. I'd go with the SR605 in walnut flat; they're beautiful, and identical to the SR600 but with a slightly wider neck, but still with a 19.5mm thickness. You already know how it sounds based on the SR600 (with the Bart 3band active EQ w/mid freq switch) you have. I love my SR600.

9. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    You guys are killing me... I did love the SR600 a lot. But I just didn't like the thin neck. But the SR605 is a little thicker. I did try the SR755 at GC the other day and liked it very much. Arggggh... I like both. But the SR is very constant.

Shaun

10. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    The SR605 in Walnut Flat does look very nice. That would be the finish I would choose on the SR.

I do like the fact the SR does have a three band EQ. The MK1's did sound nice in the 600 I had.

What to do, flip a quarter let fate decide for me...

Shaun

11. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Ok, I think it's going to be the SR605WNF. :)

Shaun

12. If you liked the SR600 you had - you will like the SR605. The neck is the same thickness (19.5mm), but wider with 16mm bridge spacing. After a couple years of playing mine - the flat walnut stain starts getting buffed, and glossy which is really nice looking bringing out the Ash woodgrain. I'm going to have the entire body buffed to match.

13. My SR600
    IMG_0383. IMG_0373.

14. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    That SR600 looks very nice. :)

Shaun