Ibanez SR655E wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dirkhh, Feb 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dirkhh

dirkhh

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    My SR655E is buzzing pretty badly on the neck pickup, and not at all with the bridge pickup. I'm a complete noooob - no idea what I'm doing, but I figured "how hard can it be" and opened the back.
    Yeah, err, ok... that's... interesting?

Ibanez SR655E wiring

full.jpg
    I'm pretty sure those two red wires should go somewhere and not just hang out there without insulation. But... how do I find out where they are supposed to go? Is there a wiring chart that would tell me? Or is this something where someone somewhat more experienced would look at it and say "oh, that's the connection for the doo-hicky-da and that of course needs to be connected to the what-shumma-callit"?

Help? :help:

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Oh, the Ibanez works-with-all-models-we-make modular preamp. Your setup looks to be complex with one or more push-pull knobs. Modular plugs and proprietary controls, that stuff is especially resistant to DY repairs. Here's a relevant thread that references this preamp:
    The mysteriously unreferenced current model Ibanez 3EMP3LD EQ

One thing you can check: the neck pickup's connection the balancer (blend or pickup selector) control. It looks like the yellow or yellow and black wires coming from the front hole, that should go to the balancer pot, which will have 3 modular plug sockets, one for each pickup, and a third that connects to the master volume. Make sure the neck pickup's is plugged in securely and the no wires on the connector have broken. If the pickups were replaced the leads may have been spliced to the OEM modular connector, which could also be a source of trouble.

What's the backstory on this bass? Did you buy it used? Have the pickups been changed out? The two red wires could have been the power leads for active pickups that were removed and replaced with passive pickups. But active p'ups + active preamp is not a common setup. In any case I'd separate the wires and insulate the ends with small pieces of electrical tape or something. This is won't cure your neck pickup buzzing, though.

dirkhh likes this.
  3. dirkhh

dirkhh

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Let's see, I have the EQ bypass switch, and I have the mid frequency selector switch: 480?cb=20190909193039.jpg
    Awesome, I'll go through that in detail!

Backstory: bought new (via Reverb) from Pitbull Audio. So my assumption is (was?) that this baby is unmodified, original pickups, original pots. I'll look at the connectors at the balancer pot as you suggested. And I'll see what happens if I separate the red cables.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer - I wish I could like your post more than once :)

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Oh, sorry, I couldn't tell that they were connected...just leave them that way and cover the joint with electric tape.

dirkhh likes this.
  5. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    wow. this is a real mess of wiring.

I mean, having a passive tone knob and active treble control on one knob is indeed complicated, but I find Yamaha's approach to the same looks cleaner.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022