1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR656

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabe7539, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gabe7539

Gabe7539

Jan 18, 2016
    GAS hit me like a train and I got one of these used. I haven't found much info/reviews on these so i figured I'd post some info on this after messing around with it for a few days, maybe a video demo too if I feel brave.

It feels like an SR bass. The pickups are great. Really versatile, powerful, strong mid-range, mellow highs and nice loud p-bass lows. Very different from Bartolini (as others have already said). It has a really well-rounded sound. The preamp is good BUT it increases volume by like 50%, which I'm not sure I like. The passive tone is one of my favorites of any bass. It only comes in a clear finish (wth?) while the 4 and 5 string have other finish options. ALSO, it seems so silly why this does not have the mid frequency switch common to other SR and BTB basses in this price range. I don't really care that much but for the price ($700-1000 new) idk why they didn't just include it. For what I paid I'm really happy just to use the passive tone forever and not even bother with the preamp.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Got any pictures, mang?

I have the 5-string version. Very nice bass with good sounds. Mine only weighs 7.13 pounds or there-abouts. I haven't played it since I got a Kiesel VB5 but when I did play it, I always left it in active mode. I didn't think I'd be doing that when I first bought the SR655 because I'm not really an active mang.

kesslari likes this.
  3. The SR656 looks great. I think I may prefer the SR756 (below). I haven't tried either yet, but it’s included in my wishlist.

Ibanez-SR-756-6-string-Bass-Review-2.png

Jimks likes this.
  4. Gabe7539

Gabe7539

Jan 18, 2016
    I haven't actually taken it home yet (I have it on layaway), but I've played it thoroughly at guitar center on three separate occasions. Next time I go in will be time to take it home so I'll grab some pictures then. I also intend to make some sort of sound demo when I get it because I've only seen 1 video on youtube and it's not thorough. The 756 is not neck thru, what's the deal with that? It looks as though it should.

5. Gabe7539

Gabe7539

Jan 18, 2016
    Here it is. I still think it looks ugly AF with the clear coat. IMG_20171025_185232016.jpg

Herrick likes this.
  6. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I've been looking for one of these on the used market - nowhere to be found - they must be keepers for the folks who have them. I've never owned a 6 - been playing 5's since the mid-80s, but I'm finally looking at getting a 6 for the extended upper range / playing chords / working on melodies etc. I should have bought one of these when they were a current model - dang!