1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR700 and 705

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I've had this bass for about a year and I just love it. The SR series is just great ecspecially with the SR500 and above models. Anybody else have the 700 or 705? I don't really see a lot of them.

2. drumNbass28

drumNbass28

Nov 18, 2010
    Belgium
    I have a SR705. I really like the bass for it's clear highs and rumbling lows :) If you wanna hear it's sound click on my Soundcloud link below. That song is fully played (yes only bass and e-drums) on my Ibanez!!

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Great overall bass and almost perfect intonation/action right out of the box.
    I just traded it for temporarily owning a MIJ Ibanez Doug Wimbish #1 Which in turn got traded for an astonishing (for me at least) Fender American Special Jazz bass.

Story of me not having anymore Ibanez in my bass collection (after having had 10 of'em) - still retaining 3 Ibanez guitars BTW - detent nothing from the sheer quality of Ibanez SR 700 - 705 series.

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Not the 705, but I'm currently playing a 605 and it's outstanding!! The action needed to be adjusted a bit out of the box but that isn't a con since its understandable with climate and altitude changes. Once I got that out of the way and changed the strings, this became my favorite bass hands down!! Then again I haven't tried the notorious Fender Jazz or the P bass but for now, I'm completely loyal to my Ibanez!

image-1846498522.

5. Good playing and I'm diggin the tone!

6. I was thinking about getting the 605 in the walnut but I got the 705 instead. And believe, the jazz and p basses are good basses but I personally think they are overated. People think they are the only basses on the market. I really think some of the SRs sound better and are more versatile than fenders. Plus their better on your wallet:D

7. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I just got an sr505 koa top and I am fully on board with these sr 5 strings. I have been playing P's and J's and needed a change. Good stuff!

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Ah... I see...

Ibanez can sometimes be almost flawless. I had a few Prestige models, over the regular ones that I had in the past
    Fender is hardly flawless. On american models too
    But nothing bears "your voice" more easily than them.
    Maybe Yamaha is on the prowl to get then...

But sure neither Ibanez nor other brands can dispute such undeniable personality in a mix!

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Here is a pic of my sr505 if somebody was curious about the new finish option...

Attached Files:

10. What year did you get that bass? Ive never seen that finish before.

11. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    It's brand new, not even shown on the Ibanez site. In looking to put some plastic knobs like on the Prestige models just for fun. I have seen poplar burl and knurled maple top sr505's around lately as well. Same electronics and hardware as the 700 series I believe.

12. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I got a 505 and moded the s#$% out of it...probably sounds as good/better than a prestige for lots less. plays like butta too.

13. Well SRs above 500 all have the same electronics. My 705 has the same electronics as your 505. Does yours have the jatoba/bubinga neck? The prestige and premium models are wenge/bubinga.

14. Post a picture!

15. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    There is a sweet sr705 in the classifieds right now, seller is a stand up guy

16. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Jatoba/babinga 5 pc neck on the 500 series

17. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    Trying to decide between an SR-700 or a MM Stingray. Can't beat the price of the Ibanez, but I've always wanted a Ray. After trying out the 700 it's a tough decision, as it was a sweet playing and sounding bass!

18. I had a 1st year production SR800 4-string. And I LOVED IT. I would love an SR 5-string. But, once again, r-e-a-l-l-y, r-e-a-l-l-y narrow string spacing on those.

19. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I thought I would have an issue with the tight spacing but I got used to it pretty quick. I don't do alot of slap style playing though. With a bit of practice it's not too hard to mute around the strings you are playing. I like the Ibanez sr 5er's because they offer alot of range and tones in a compact and lightweight package.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is my wife, with her SR700

[​IMG]