1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR750

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Aug 2, 2012.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone have an Ibanez SR750? I'm considering this or another bass, not sure what yet.

2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have an SR755 (the five string version of that bass.) It's a really great bass - has Bartolini MK1's which are nice, but not as nice as MK4s. And of course, it has the great, fast neck and slim body of the SR series.

You haven't said what you want to know.

You might also try the Soundgear club for more responses.

3. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I was curious how the bass played and how the pick-ups sounded.

4. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    SRs all have fast necks meaning they are not very wide or thick. Super easy to play. It's the exact opposite of a Fender Telecaster neck which feels round and full in your hands. Some people like one, some like the other. If you like a slender neck that you feel like you can play very fast on, you'll love the 750.

Although I recommend playing any bass before buying (since they can vary even within the same model) I have been surprised at how straight the Ibanez necks are - at all price points. The 750 of course, is well up the line so you'll get a quality neck with nice fret dressing.

Bartolini pickups are a big step up from what is on the lower Ibanez lines. (Barts or sometimes Nordstrands come on the 500 series and above). Barts tend to be warmer sounding with a beautiful deep bottom end and strong low mids. They have some personality - definitely not a generic sound. The MK1s on the 750 are voiced open and bright on the high end - not as warm as the lows. It cuts through nicely, but if you want smoothness on the top end you can upgrade to MK4s later - they fit without any adjustment to the bass. The highs on the MK4s are warmer and to me do a better job of matching the lows and mids that Bart pickups produce.

EQ is very flexible on this bass. Lots of tonal variation with active electronics and two frequencies of mid to choose from to boost or cut.

I can't say enough good things about the body shape of Ibanez basses. When you pick up a 750 it just feels great - super comfortable. It makes you want to pick it up more often.

5. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks PD, it sounds like a great bass. I'm going to a couple music stores today to see if I can find one to play.

6. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Wow, this bass was amazing. Had great sound, real comfortable to play. A great bass.

7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Ibanez basses are the best kept secret out there right now. I don't know how so many brands can get outsourced to the same places and yet some brands get a better result than others. Soundgears are really nice and the 750 is in a great spot in the middle of their lineup where quality meets affordability imo.

8. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    As far as the ones with barts, Did they ever come with MK4's? or would that be an upgrade to switch out the MK1's for the MK4's? p

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Nope, the factory pickups for SR750 up from earliest builds in 2008 until 2014 had always been Bartolini MK1 soapbar pickups (which later they changed them to Carey Nordstrand Design PJ pickups). Yes, Bartolini MK4 would be the direct upgrade for the MK1.

PawleeP likes this.
  10. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Since I made that post about Ibanez pickups I've changed my mind on one thing. I said that Barts are a big step up from Ibanez standard pickups but I have since heard some pretty nice tones out of the standard ones.