1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR800 EQ knobs sticking

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by storunner13, Nov 1, 2010.

1. storunner13

storunner13

Nov 1, 2010
    I've recently purchased a used SR800, but the stacked Vari-Mid EQ knobs are sticking. Does anyone have any experience with these or tips to remove and "unstick" them? Thanks.

2. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    First thing I'd check is whether the pot shafts are bent. Those concentric shafts have such small tolerances that a slight bend will seriously impair free rotation. It's almost a certainty that the previous owner has banged the bass into something at one time or another and the controls often take the hit. My SR690 vari-mid and bass/treble controls both had this issue.

Take the knobs off (small allen wrench usually works), try to rotate one shaft without the other (or both, if you can't) and see if there is any "wobble" or lack of symmetry. You might be able to carefully and slowly bend them back into alignment if so.

Otherwise, having the knobs off, you can check for embedded gunk or dirt which might be sticking the shafts together and clean it out with alcohol or some approved mild cleaner.