Ibanez SR800 Soundgear Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, May 30, 2001.

1. Hi everyone i was wondering if you could help me...
    I am going to get a new bass (moving on up from my squire)
    and i want to know what you think about the Ibanez Sr800
    sound gear bass THANKS!!!
  2. I have an Ibenez Sr400 and it is a brilliant, great sounding and versitile bass. I use it to play live and to record, and I play everything from blues to metal, to jazz to grunge and everything in between and it performs all of these without a problem. The Sr800 can only be even better!
  3. You need to play it for a while, and decide if the narrow neck is to your liking.
  4. Go for the BTB instead, i'm confident you'll like that one better.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SR-800 is a great bass. Very comfortable, very fast playing neck, light. But do your self a favor, when you are ready to buy it, play as many basses in that price range as you can.

Then there is the test of playing it through your rig w/your band. :D
  6. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I had one and really loved it.
    Light, comfortable and the fastest neck I ever played.
    The sound was ok, and you could get a nice range of different styles but it could be better with another preamp or pups (it lacked a little depth).
    IMHO : a good bass for the price ... if it fits your style(s).
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have a 400 and an 810 and i love them both. But as Nino said, play many before you really decide.

8. Marlow_Smith

Apr 26, 2000
    My friend, Rick, from RWAV, plays that exact bass.
    he plays punk and it sounds great. I play a little heavier than him, and play a BTB. they are both great sounding basses, and, in my limited experience, I find that Ibanez has a great sound for the money. You COULD spend more, but, why? They sound good, play better
  9. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I have both a BTB405 and a SG810. The BTB blows the SG away in all aspects, sound, playability and looks (IMO).
  10. Marlow_Smith

Apr 26, 2000
    just out of curiosty (and cause I'm dumb)
    how many strings on the 810?

I play five stringers, (ok, and a four string fretless)
    and am just keeping eyes open for anything that looks worth checking into.
  11. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Just 4, kinda confusing with them high numbers :)
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've had an SR800 nearly ten years. The pick ups went bad just three months after I bought it, but Ibanez replaced them free and I have never had a problem since.

I love the weight, the narrow neck and the finish has stood up well. One band I was in, the guitarists wanted me to play that bass because they liked the tone better than my other basses, even my Tobias. We recorded all my demos with the Ibanez.
  13. Marlow_Smith

Apr 26, 2000
    OK, thanks.
    as you can tell, I'm still new here. ohh well, I'll get the hang of it.
    anyone need/want info on me/my band

umm..... the bass on the website, is not the one I have now. I've upgraded to a BTB