1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Sr800: Treble Knob Hiss

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cyprus, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Hey guys,
    So I just purchased an awesome 92 Ibanez SR800, and I have one problem I'm not too sure about.

All the knobs on the thing work and sound great with the exception of the treble knob. Everything on the treble sounds good, but as soon as I reach 9 or 10 on it, it makes a constant hissing sound. It's not anything super loud, but more like some minor static. It's all good if I keep it at 8 or below, but as soon as I hit 9 that static comes up.
    It's an active bass, so I know there's the chance that it might be the battery, but it doesn't do it with any other knob but the treble, so I don't think it's that.

The guy I bought it from said it probably just needed some contact cleaner or something of the sort, but I thought I'd ask the pros for their opinions before I did anything. :D

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's just noise from the op amp powering the preamp. You hear it when it's p on 9 or 10 because it's boosting the highs. It's called thermal noise, and all electronics devices make it. Listen to you amp with nothing plugged in.

You probably don't want to boost them that much anyway.

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    What he said.

4. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    OOhhhhhh... That makes a lot of sense. :eek: Now that I think about it, when it does show up it sounds as if it were "turning on."

Totally makes sense.
    Thanks for clearing that up guys. :D
    Glad to know my bass is fine and still awesome. :hyper: