Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR810 or Ibanez BTB400QM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Hi i am wondering what you think i should get an Ibanez SR810 or Ibanez BTB400QM they both seem pretty good
    please help me decide

2. The BTB is MUCH MUCH MUCH better IMO, its got better looks, electronics, just about everything. The SR has the dreaded "Ibanez" look, the BTB hardly looks "Ibanezed" at all.

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I own both, the BTB is MUCH MUCH better in every aspect.

4. Aye, BTB whips the SR big time.

I mean.. BIIIIGGGG time.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you've got small hands, the SR800 may be better for you. Remember, the BTB is a 35" scale neck bass which is great for that low B feel and tone, but an additional strech for the left hand.

For me personally, I lean more towards the BTB seeing as I have big hands and, hot damn that thang is sure prurdy! Also if you slap, you'll appreaciate the additional width at the end of the fret board (if the 5 string SR800s are anything like the 4 string 800s, it will be a tight squeeze for you slappers).

Still, I don't knock those SR800 and up (SR1200, etc.) basses; their great axes. You may even luck up on some kick-butt SR stuff from the early 90s that may have cost over $1,200 in it's day; now super cheap. Remember, the high-end SR came in exotic woods, neck-thru designs, fancy electronics, etc. Clean it up, set it up, and you've got a workingman/woman's Warwick! The cheaper stuff (SR400, etc.) on the other hand...well good luck.

Ron

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    DGCE - There's NO way that a Sound Gear's better than a BTB. Also, the BTB 400QM isn't a 5 string. So there is no "better low b" hah :)

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Whoops, I don't know why I was thinking you were talking about 5 strings. I know, because I've checked out the BTB 5 string just last week.

BTW, I never said the SR was better than the BTB. I only suggested if you have small hands, it may be better suited for you. Also, the high-end SRs are pretty good, especially considering you could get an older one with features found on basses costing three times as much on the cheap.

Actually I think the BTB is great! The black stained quilted top looks very sharp (the red is pretty nice too). And the features for an ax in this price range is amazing. I even discovered a cool wah-wah effect when you hammer-on the neck and play with the tone control (an old Telecaster trick that never works on bass, but it sure did on this one!).

What it comes down to it is, play what you dig. Be it a BTB or a parts bass, or whatever.

Ron

8. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    The wah effect works with any bass that has sweepable mids.